Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hello

I'm relatively new to flyfishing and am interested in tying my own flies for steelhead and bass. Hopefully I will be able to create something decent enough to share with you guys.

Welcome sherman!

I'm somewhat of a beginner myself and be sure to ask any questions you have because some of the guys here are very knowledgeable and are always willing to help out!!

Nice to hear from you Sherman. I'm sure, like for many of us, fly fishing will become a passion.

If you're new to tying, you might consider taking a beginners fly tying course. This will give you most of the basics that you need to get started on the right foot. I originally tried doing it on my own and became frustrated with it pretty quickly and didn't try to tie for a long time after that. After deciding to try again, I took a beginners course and it made all the difference. I've been tying ever since.

By the way, many if the more productive steelhead flies are very simple to tie.

Good luck. Hope to hear from you again.

D. Waterflogger

Hi Sherman,

Don't be afraid to show your work. The hardest thing is proportion (and I'm still working on that one...LOL).

I found that a hungry fish won't analize the flies as much as the guy behind the vise.

Welcome

Thanks guys! Being that I'm a rookie at this, I have been loking at several books and videos that I am hoping will get me started on the right track. I'll definatley post pictures of some of my creations when I make them. No digital camera so I'll be waiting for film to get developed. wallbash.gif

Sherman,

As the other newbie, I'm on my second year fly fishing and tying, definately take a class!!!! I bought lot's of books but that class tied everything together, nothing like hands on instruction.

I got lucky, my local shop has free lessons every other Saturday during the winter and the opposite week is Rod making (yeah that one cost's, but just materials).

You'll pick up stuff quick enough, and wait till you catch the first one on something you tied yourself, it's a blast and then you're hooked FOREVER.

If you have questions just ask and you'll get an answer.

Welcome aboard,

Fatman

QUOTE (Shoe @ Oct 10 2003, 08:34 AM)
Don't be afraid to show your work. The hardest thing is proportion (and I'm still working on that one...LOL).

We're all fishermen and probably mostly men here, so we all have problems with proportion. 4 inches looks like 8 inches, 20 inches looks like 26 inches, etc...... j_k.gif biggrin.gif

We all started out tying like crap and probably still do at times. Keep practicing, take constructive criticism and remember learning the various techniques is more important than what the individual fly looks like at first. The rest will come. Good Luck.

I'm heading to Cableas this weekend to get some tying stuff, I'm looking forward to getting started. Hope to see you guys on the river with some new creations again soon!

LMAO @ dormug!!!!!

Hey Sherman

I would not bother with one of those fly tying kits. The tools are OK but the materials usally are not the greatest quality!! Pick a couple of patterns you want to tie and buy the materials for those patterns. Start out with maybe some simple streamers or nymphs something easy to tie. This way you dont get frusterated trying to tie hackle around a size 16 dry fly. Once you get the basic fundamentals down you will be tying the tougher flies in no time.

Just my 2 cents!