Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

BEST JIG EVER!

post-64672-0-45849400-1570228768_thumb.jpg

This is the best jig I have ever used. I don’t have much time so I couldn’t get a good picture. I was fishing, and I didn’t even use bait, and in 3 hours I had 8 fish (BTW I caught them in murky water.) I call it the FX Special Effect. Okay, the recipe is really weird, but at least the jig works. What I do Is starting at the back of a 3/8 Jig hook I wrap UV Ice Dub (Don't judge) all the way up until I am 7/8 of the hook shank away from the eye. Then I will Change colors and wrap in a small amount again toward the eye. Then I will do the traditional use of dubbing and wrap to the head. Then I will do a few half hitches and I am finished. Plz don't judge on the picture and the technique.

At the time I was fishing for cod and Irish Lord (Sculpin, Look it up, they're cool fish)

Learn how to make and use a jig (every size) with every sort of tailing material (bucktail, calf tail - also called kiptail, synthetics, feathers...) and you can literally have a shot at every fish you ever encounter - worldwide, fresh or saltwaters... I've been tying them for a lot of years using everything from a 1/8 oz head up to four ounces....

Lot of satisfaction in catching fish with a fly or jig you've made yourself...

Be a hero.... take a kid fishing...

Be a hero.... take a kid fishing...

I am a kid! And to some people a hero!

I live VERY far away from you, But when I go to florida I'll have you and Mikechell in mind.

From what I can tell it looks good. No offense, but every young tyer who ties a fly or jig in "new" colors or patterns and does well with them believes them to be the best ever. It's very possible most who frequent here and started young, have said the same thing, or thought it. smile.png

Good job, keep tying and keep trying different things! They'll all catch fish in the right time & situation! wink.png

From what I can tell it looks good. No offense, but every young tyer who ties a fly or jig in "new" colors or patterns and does well with them believes them to be the best ever. It's very possible most who frequent here and started young, have said the same thing, or thought it. smile.png

Good job, keep tying and keep trying different things! They'll all catch fish in the right time & situation! wink.png

Man, I was trying everything! Nothing worked, then I switched over to the jig I was using, and fish after fish, man! Just because I am a kid doesn't me I can't pack a punch fishing-wise. Check this out www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=88928#entry748762 Those fish are all mine. Don't mind the tiny Irish lord I caught, though.

He's not saying it's not a good jig pattern clearly it works well, looks like a good color scheme, in your case it was exactly what you needed, in mine it might not work at all, oftentimes we think something is more effective than it is particularly when it's a new to you pattern just because it happened top be the perfect combo in that setting, I'd be willing to bet most of us have been there whether it was a lure or a fly.

Nobody doubts that you "designed" this jig yourself. Nobody doubts that it did well on your fishing experience.

Everybody who ties flies (or jigs), at some time, sets out to design a unique fly/jig. And succeed, catching fish when it seemed nothing else did.

I had a problem in my local waters. Lily pads and hydrilla/milfoil and lots of wood/over hanging brush. I needed a fly that would be weedless, or nearly so. I came up with "Chell's Panfish Attractor".

DSCF0004.JPG
A little flash in the tail, a little dubbing on the body, some bead chain eyes and raccoon tail wing/hook guard. It works so well, I named it and it is my go-to fly everywhere I fish. I catch more fish with that fly than with anything else I've tried so far.
When I put a picture of it on this site ... a was shown a "Panfish Charlie". Pretty much, an identical pattern. No flash tail, synthetic instead of raccoon ... but very similar. I'd never seen it before, but I had to admit, it looked similar.
I don't care, I'm not trying to sell mine, so I still call it Chell's Panfish Attractor.
There are only so many ways you can tie material to a jig. You came up with your pattern yourself ... but trust us when we say, "It's been done before."
Your jig might be the "best jig ever" for YOU ... but even that won't be true until you've repeated your success several times. Maybe you'll try new colors and THAT one will be the "Best jig ever!"

I'm not saying this to argue, but that jig is uv glow, and I was useing it in murky water. 8 fish is pretty good. Shall I add 8 fish in 2 hours. In the murky salt.

Okay, You're correct. It's the best jig ever. There's no need to ever tie anything else.

I expect we won't see any new designs from you, then. Right?

No, MikeChell. I am still making more flies, lure, and jigs. I am getting into making egg patterns for grayling. I'm not saying I am never going to make anything else. I want to share my favorite jig and how to tie it. I don't have to share it, but I want to make every fishing trip better for people. I am just saying I like the jig. I am not saying it is the best jig on the planet. Don't use it if you don't care about it.