Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Cork Sealer

Acquired a new rod and noticed how much nicer the new cork is when compared to some of my old nasty handles. Now I have to clean all my old handles. Figured I'd also fill some of the holes that have developed over time.

I was considering sealing the cork after I freshen them up with something like the U-40 Cork Sealer. However, I'd like to now how it effects the cork. I like the soft somewhat absorbent nature of the natural cork. If I seal it, will it get hard and feel like it has a coat of poly or something on it?

U-40 will darken the cork a little, but if you apply a thin coat it won't change the feel much. If you don't like it you can rough it up to make it feel better or sand it off, it only soaks into the cork a tiny bit.

I've only used it a couple times. I think steeldrfter has used U-40 a bunch, he's probably the man to ask.

As spiral said it will darken slightly. Not a ton, but a tad. I wouldn't go as far as to say it will make it feel hard per say, but it will for sure change the feel a bit. It will fell firmer and not have quite as much give to the cork. I wouldn't bother with filling the holes either. I never use filler in my handles because it will just end up falling out after about 10-12 uses on the river. So best to just leave the holes/pits in it. Unless you have some larger holes missing, then you can mix up some cork dust with some wood glue and make a paste to apply then sand down.

I use spray satin spar urethane myself and like the look and feel of that.. I do three spray coats ( not a glass finish at all) and it still feels pretty much like cork in the hand but a bit harder, it does darken the cork some and bring out any figure that is in it. U40 might be more clear but I'm sticking with spar myself. I don't get that three coats changes the gripping quality any except many to better it. Still feels familiar at least. I think it improves wet traction somehow, it does repel the water quickly.

You're probably going to have to lightly bleach and then scuff out the old grip or you will seal in the fish slime and skin oils if they look anything like my hardest and old used rods.. All my coating has been done on new grips.

Absolutely! Plan was use Magic Eraser / 220 grit sand paper to get it "like new" and then seal. Jump in if that sounds misguided.

Absolutely! Plan was use Magic Eraser / 220 grit sand paper to get it "like new" and then seal. Jump in if that sounds misguided.

Sounds good, the main thing is clean and scuff .

Clean and sanded all my cork handles - they look great! Sealed one of them. All descriptions were accurate. I like the velvet like feel of the non sealed cork, so I think I'll hold off on sealing the others. Thanks everyone!

Clean and sanded all my cork handles - they look great! Sealed one of them. All descriptions were accurate. I like the velvet like feel of the non sealed cork, so I think I'll hold off on sealing the others. Thanks everyone!

Now you know !

I use a old toothbrush and soft scrub with bleach to clean grimy cork grips. I never seal the cork because I want the cork to molded to my hand. My old rod grips actually have a depression where I hold my thumb and I kind of like that.