Fly Tying

Hey guys, this is a super quick video on tying in dumbbell eyes. I plan on doing a few of these quick tips type of video's. They will be under 2 minutes (this one is only 1 and a half minutes). Let me know what you think? I know you all probably know how to tie in dumbbell eyes, but I am making my video's for the beginners as well as seasoned tiers. So I am thinking that some beginners might need help with some simple things like this. Let me know whatcha think of this series of videos.

https://youtu.be/1vAds9-bnhA

Nice video McFly. I just shared this video on another forum where someone complained about theirs eyes getting loose. Talk about good timing.

Nice video McFly. I just shared this video on another forum where someone complained about theirs eyes getting loose. Talk about good timing.

Glad you liked it! Also glad your sharing. More shares, more I get viewed. Love it!

So these little quick help vids are something I should do more of? Like not just whole flies, just individual techniques or tips?

I generally loathe video how-to, but with the subtitles I can leave the sound off and still get something out of it. I'd still rather read than watch, but this works. Well done!

I generally loathe video how-to, but with the subtitles I can leave the sound off and still get something out of it. I'd still rather read than watch, but this works. Well done!

Yeah, I hear you. Anyone that has skills in tying, or done it before really has no need for these types of videos. This is really just for the individual that hasnt tied before, or starting on a new type of tying that needs a quick "how to". Glad you like this one better.

Nice. I prefer to add the superglue on the underside of the eye rather than on top, though I'm not sure that makes any difference

Nice. I prefer to add the superglue on the underside of the eye rather than on top, though I'm not sure that makes any difference

Interesting, I've never done it that way... How does that work? Like you put the drop on the hook shank over the wraps, then put the dumbbell on? Or do you put it on the dumbell and then stick the dumbell on?

Okay, I do very similar to what you do except I take it a step further and build a small saddle for the eye to sit in exactly where I want it. Thread base, thread saddle, pretty much same as you, brushing superglue top AND bottom. My eyes don't twist anymore.

Okay, I do very similar to what you do except I take it a step further and build a small saddle for the eye to sit in exactly where I want it. Thread base, thread saddle, pretty much same as you, brushing superglue top AND bottom. My eyes don't twist anymore.

that's the method I've arrived at over a few thousand sets of dumbells tied in, two small bumps of thread with the saddle between them right where I want the eyes. I tend to use one small drop of zap-a-gap and it wicks through the thread top, bottom, middle...

the "saddle method" takes a little longer but I don't tie flies to be in a huge hurry.

i use the tightest wraps of thread in both the figure 8 method and the horizontal method. no adhesive required as its really not permanent anyway

Anytime there is a tip vid or a diy/ homemade vid , I love it !!! Keep it up ... Although I don't flyfish in salt water ... I have too many videos --- HA!! nEVER!!!!!!

Interesting, I've never done it that way... How does that work? Like you put the drop on the hook shank over the wraps, then put the dumbbell on? Or do you put it on the dumbell and then stick the dumbell on?

Tie them in just like you did only when you add the glue, instead of doing it on top of the eyes, turn the fly over upside down (or rotate the vise) and add the glue to the thread wraps on the underside of the shank. I usually do it like the poster above mentioned, with the humps and then glue the top and bottom, although I found just gluing just the underside to be fine. I then do 1 or 2 more turns of thread to sort of push the glue in.

Tie them in just like you did only when you add the glue, instead of doing it on top of the eyes, turn the fly over upside down (or rotate the vise) and add the glue to the thread wraps on the underside of the shank. I usually do it like the poster above mentioned, with the humps and then glue the top and bottom, although I found just gluing just the underside to be fine. I then do 1 or 2 more turns of thread to sort of push the glue in.

Oh ok.. Yeah I guess I just add a lot of glue, cause mine runs down to the bottom anyway. Or maybe mine is thinner viscosity?