Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Jock Scott

I just don't have any "attraction" to those classic flies. But I do admire the skill you have in tying them, Eide.

Beautiful work Eide. Many of the materials I recognize and some I don’t. Are the cheeks blue chatterer? What are the horns? Once you have assembled the materials how many hours to tie this one? That is art.

Beautiful work Eide. Many of the materials I recognize and some I don’t. Are the cheeks blue chatterer? What are the horns? Once you have assembled the materials how many hours to tie this one? That is art.

Cheeks are Kingfisher, don't have much chatterer to spend..... Horns are blue macaw. For a one-off like this I get and assemble as I go, so 3-3.5 hours with a coffee break

Mike: :D

Thanks Mlandry & Bimini!

Is that real toucan or a sub? What sub?

That is also sub that I got off ebay.

In my eyes that fly is a masterpiece.

DITTO!

Kimo

Thanks Kimo!

This is, perhaps my all-time favorite classic fly. This post takes me back about 45 years and when I first saw this pattern pictured, I thought to myself, this fly tying business is really something to consider as a hobby. Up to that point, I thought you needed paint to achieve this array of coloration.

Of course, the one depicted back in my ancient memory was NOT tied or photographed with anything close to this awesome picture. Its going into my wallpaper, Thank you for posting a masterpiece work of ART.

Is there a hair wing version of this Fly I thought I saw one while trolling the old inter-web ???

Steve-stabgnid

Very nice, Eide.

Is there a hair wing version of this Fly I thought I saw one while trolling the old inter-web ???

Steve-stabgnid

Yes, there have been a number of hairwing conversions for Jock Scott, just as there have been for many feather wing classics. Feel free to create your own, since they are all interpretations.

Joe Bates published this recipe in Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing in 1970. I omitted his suggested option of polar bear. Sub for Indian crow as well as chatterer. With the exception of the wing and lack of horns, the recipe closely follows the classic tie.

Head: Black

Tag: Silver tinsel

Tail: GP crest, over which is Indian Crow, about half as long

Butt: Black ostrich herl

Body, rear half: Yellow floss, ribbed with flat silver tinsel

Veil: GP crest or Toucan

Butt: Black ostrich

Body, front half: Black floss palmered with a black hackle, ribbed with flat silver

Throat: Guinea fowl

Wing: A tiny section of teal breast with a few hairs of brown bucktail on either side. Over this are two or three green peacock sword fibers topped with a few hairs of scarlet, yellow and blue bucktail, mixed

Cheeks: Jungle cock with tips of blue chatterer over this, but not concealing the jungle cock eyes.

Very nice, Eide.

Steve-stabgnid

Yes, there have been a number of hairwing conversions for Jock Scott, just as there have been for many feather wing classics. Feel free to create your own, since they are all interpretations.

Joe Bates published this recipe in Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing in 1970. I omitted his suggested option of polar bear. Sub for Indian crow as well as chatterer. With the exception of the wing and lack of horns, the recipe closely follows the classic tie.

Head: Black

Tag: Silver tinsel

Tail: GP crest, over which is Indian Crow, about half as long

Butt: Black ostrich herl

Body, rear half: Yellow floss, ribbed with flat silver tinsel

Veil: GP crest or Toucan

Butt: Black ostrich

Body, front half: Black floss palmered with a black hackle, ribbed with flat silver

Throat: Guinea fowl

Wing: A tiny section of teal breast with a few hairs of brown bucktail on either side. Over this are two or three green peacock sword fibers topped with a few hairs of scarlet, yellow and blue bucktail, mixed

Cheeks: Jungle cock with tips of blue chatterer over this, but not concealing the jungle cock eyes.

Thanks for the information Bugsy I love these flies !!!

Steve-stabgnid

Thanks for the information Bugsy I love these flies !!!

Steve-stabgnid

Steve, sent you a PM