Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Epoxy flies

Miss my salty roots and tied up a couple of 30 min epoxy flies. The red and black was a killer when fishing in the deep night. Slow retrieve was the ticket.

post-59483-0-07376800-1478485856_thumb.jpeg

Very nicely done! wub.png

A few months ago I picked up some materials for making some epoxy spoon flies with the intention of possibly getting to the SC coast for some Redfish action.

Of course, things happen, so no spoons or getting to the coast. Maybe next year! unsure.png

Nice, slim minnows. Those will work on bass, without a doubt.

I've read that most predator prefer slim profile baitfish, as they are easier to swallow quickly. Some study done under controlled conditions ... which means it's probably bogus ... but it made sense. It's why even huge fish will still take small prey.

Thanks guys. Bimini15 theses two were wrapped dry with Mirage flashabou and fly was

tied with mono and the heads were finished off matching fingernail polish. Glen Mikelson

who is probably one of the best epoxy tyers adds gill plates while the first coat is wet.

I did not do this with these flies. I rotate these flies in the vice until the epoxy starts to set

and then place them on a wheel.

Mike yes big fish sometimes take small stuff. I was given a floating sand eel pattern sz 4 once and

was told it was an effective night pattern. With open surf and nighttime conditions I was skeptical

that they would be able to see it. Took an 18lb bass on it that night along with several other nice

fish so yes small can work.

I've read that most predator prefer slim profile baitfish, as they are easier to swallow quickly.

I've read that too, and have seen that it has some merit. I know lure fishers who only use jerkbaits certain times of the year, yet I've caught a lot of fish on them throughout the year. It does seem that the slim profile gets a lot of hits.

Same with flies, but it's much easier to get a slim profile when tying anyway. I like the big flies, but even they can have a slim profile.wink.png

Love your epoxy flies, they look awesome ! Right now I have a store brand 6 minute epoxy ( never heard of 6 min epoxy till I ran into this) and I'm thinking of ways I could use that in my baby herring patterns. Hmm, I'll have to do a search.. Baby herring tend to be slim like that.

Very nice looking flies. I have never used the 30 minute epoxy but I hear it doesn't yellow in the sun like the 5 minute stuff. Do you find that it runs or sags any more than the 5 minute stuff?

Thanks DaveG. Post those baby herring flies when you create one. Years past when fishing

the Vineyard I can remember walking the beach in the late afternoon and seeing pods of baby

Herring running very close to the shoreline. Black backed and white/silver along sides and belly.

The bass were wallowing in them but it was very tough to hook up due the amount of bait present.

Had to work the fringe of the bait pods to hook up. Maybe if I had a reasonable imitation I might have

done better but then again maybe not .

agn54 thanks. Yes the longer the set time you apply the longer the yellowing

factor is delayed. I have learned to just tie up the nbr of flies that will fill my

needs for the season and not worry about yellowing regardless of what epoxy

used. Also tying up 6 to a dozen of these flies and leaving them dry and then

applying the epoxy all at one time is helpful and helps improve your epoxy results.

Longer timed epoxy does not set at quickly as 5 min but it allows you to coat a batch

of flies in one sitting. I also like to apply the epoxy twice. Comes out beautiful.

I have found that longer setting epoxies tend to get absorbed into unintended fibers when put on a wheel. I prefer quick-setiing epoxies to avoid that, or better yet, UV resins.