Fly Tying
Bill_729

Unscrupulous ebay seller

I've contacted the Ebay seller for the item below twice to indicate to him that the photo he has posted for the new Dyna-king Barracuda fly tying vise is of the Deluxe model, and not the model he is actually selling. His single brief reply indicates he doesn't care very much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyna-King-Barracuda-Clamp-Fly-Tying-Vise-Fly-Fishing/193024361865?hash=item2cf1260589:g:GqUAAOSwGjldQlct

As a community, the last thing we need to tolerate is deceptive sellers, which I have encountered before. Please "Give him a little S&*t over it", and let him know that you care! There's power in numbers!

Thanks,

Bill_729

What makes it a "deluxe" model? Does it have more or less features than the advertised model?

If he's trying to pass off a lesser priced model for a higher priced one, then it should be brought to E-bay's attention.

What makes it a "deluxe" model? Does it have more or less features than the advertised model?

If he's trying to pass off a lesser priced model for a higher priced one, then it should be brought to E-bay's attention.

The deluxe version has a small extension arm on the handle (which they sell separately for $27.99), as well as three big Brass "tensioning" screws in place of steel ones. Actually, both are nylon tipped, so functionally, both screws are largely equivalent. But the deluxe version is flashier" and sells for $100 more. I just wrote dyna-king about it to let them know. The think is, he ("Ed's Fly Shop") appears to be a pretty big seller; I would "expect better" from them.

I have noticed that some other web sites publish "ebay titles/photos/ and prices" as advertisements on their own web sites. This format greatly magnifies the (apparent) deception.

I cautioned the seller that this was his "2nd notice about this issue" from me, and he ignored it. So, I am trying to do what I can to try to help...

By the way, I phoned Ebay about "Inappropriate seller behavior" a few months earlier concerning a totally different product and they didn't seem interested (about 0 on a scale of 1-10). I'm curious whether Dyna-king is willing to get involved. The seller is a purveyor of their product and I would expect them to try to help maintain the "quality of their brand" (which this seller appears to be undermining).

Bill

Well he has sold close to 28000 items and he has a 99.6% positive rating. Of those 28000 sales I saw there were about a half dozen reviews saying what was bought wasn't what was pictured. Who buys something based solely on a picture? The listing makes it very clear as to what is being sold. Sorry but I'm not sure this qualifies as unscrupulous behavior requiring a call to action.

You have noted the discrepancies, you informed the seller, and you have alerted others so thank you. Buyer beware is in order for this seller.

"Sorry but I'm not sure this qualifies as unscrupulous behavior requiring a call to action."

--It's deliberate misrepresentation. My tolerance for that is lower than yours. "Misrepresentation" is a legal word too... Even IF he picks up the financial outlay of anyone who wishes to return an order (and I doubt he does), I don't consider that good enough...since he is deliberately obfuscating the item that he was selling in the first place. It's not much different than a used car deal knowingly writing 2014 on the windshield of a vehicle which is really a 2010, and then later saying "Oops, we left off the 4". That's not so much different than my experience with this vise (I've sold 3 different drivable cars each for less than the price of this vise). You wouldn't take issue with that? Let's wait and see what Dyna-king says...

Bill_729

"Who buys something based solely on a picture?"

Hmm... I don't know. My wife? Or perhaps someone buying a vise for someone as a gift?

"You have noted the discrepancies, you informed the seller, and you have alerted others so thank you."

You say "thank you" as if you are speaking for everyone here. If you wish to thank me, please notify the seller yourself (on my behalf)! And anyone else who wishes to thank me, feel free to do the same. I can truthfully say that such action would mean the most to me. If everyone would sweep his own doorstep, the whole world would be clean! : ) Cheers!

"barracuda deluxe" $548 directly from dyna king

https://www.dyna-king.com/product/barracuda-deluxe/

"barracuda" $528 directly from dyna king

https://www.dyna-king.com/product/barracuda/

barracuda $445 directly from ebay seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyna-King-Barracuda-Clamp-Fly-Tying-Vise-Fly-Fishing/193024361865?hash=item2cf1260589:g:GqUAAOSwGjldQlct

if the ebay seller is selling the barracuda deluxe as shown in his photo for $445 vs dyna kings $548 and you receive the pictured vise, i think you get a good deal. thats $103 in your pocket. if you receive the barracuda from his description for $445 vs dyna kings $528, thats $83 in your pocket

when was getting a higher priced item for a lesser price a bad thing

per the dyna king website the barracuda deluxe sells for $548 and the barracuda sells for $528. a difference of $20 not $100

the color/material of the thumb screws shouldnt even be a consideration when disputing the differences as they are the same form, fit and function. the only part the makes the vises different is the handle

barracuda deluxe barracuda

deluxe.jpgdyna-king-barracuda-vise-1024x1024.jpg

maybe the seller used the wrong photo or maybe he forgot to add the word "deluxe" in yhe description. only the seller knows for sure

i'm not buying from either dealer. i have enough tying toys smile.png

On the bottom of the page it says 'This listing is currently undergoing maintenance, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.' so maybe he is correcting the issue now. I understand the OP's frustration at the incnsistency of the listing, but as noted above, it's a good deal either way.

"maybe the seller used the wrong photo or maybe he forgot to add the word "deluxe" in the description. only the seller knows for sure"

-- No, He wrote me that he is NOT selling the deluxe version for $445. I wrote him twice over the course of 2 weeks. He knows what he is doing.

"On the bottom of the page it says 'This listing is currently undergoing maintenance, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.' so maybe he is correcting the issue now."

--That has been there all along. In his email reply to me, he offered nothing like an apology, nor any intent to change his advertisement. It will be interesting to see whether Dyna-King is able to help him change his "attitude". I doubt they want to be associated with a fraudulent seller.

Bill_729

"the thumb screws shouldnt even be a consideration when disputing the differences"

-- If you look at them side by side, in person, you wouldn't say that. Yes, as "tool" they are equivalent. And there is no "disputing" the differences--they are two different models. Evidently Dyna-King thinks they are different enough to offer both, in both pedestal and C-clamp versions.

Tempest in a Tea Cup!!! Online retail is rife with items for sale where the image is not quite in sync with the description. Lots of Ebay sellers use stock photos instead of the actual item. Its the description that counts, unless there is some flaw in the specific item that needs to be displayed. As well, lots of Ebay sellers sell things they dont quite understand. Over the years Ive seen dozens of SAGE rods for sale, described as Model XXXX etc as if they were the original factory production model. But when you see the pics, you immediately know it was a custom job from a SAGE blank. Bold block letters on the blank instead of the script letters on production models. An uniformed seller doesnt always know that. Point out the discrepancy to the seller and they usually fix the description. Ebay sellers arent perfect, but deliberate deceptive selling is tough to pull off in a crowd sourced environment and not worth the risk. If I ever feel uncomfortable with an Ebay listing, I just dont buy or bid on it. Something else will come along.

"As well, lots of Ebay sellers sell things they dont quite understand."

--This seller is "Ed's Fly Shop" and he apparently sells ALL of Dyna-King's vises. I don't think we can put him in the naive category...

Do my posts suggest that I do not write clearly enough to have been able to communicate "the problem" to him? Write him and ask him. Ask him why he hasn't bothered to update his advertisement (even after being informed about an obvious "error" in it)... It's not difficult to contact "the seller". Yes, it takes a bit of effort.

Bill_729

maybe you should question all of the dealers that advertise the following as a fly tying vise :)

Helping-hands-vise.jpg

If you look at them side by side, in person, you wouldn't say that. Yes, as "tool" they are equivalent. And there is no "disputing" the differences--they are two different models. Evidently Dyna-King thinks they are different enough to offer both, in both pedestal and C-clamp versions.

i posted photos of them side by side and i stand by my statement that the thumb screws make no difference in the fit, form and function of the vises. one has steel screws and the other has brass screws. i dont need to hold them in my hand to see the difference

they are different model but with only minor differences and a $20 price tag

"they are different model but with only minor differences and a $20 price tag"

On ebay, or amazon, the difference D is closer to $100. If you compare using prices from the higher priced seller, yes the difference d is smaller, d =$20. Now, which is mostly relevant, D or d? Sorry, this is not intended to be a "trick question"...

Go to this page. At the bottom of the page, it tells you how to report the item directly to Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/report-item-listing?

Back in 2017, I reported a fly shop that was advertising a demo model of a Sage fly rod on Ebay. There were two problems.

1. Fly shops are NOT allowed to sell demo models of Sage rods. Sage does not allow it and it violates the contract that Sage has with the fly shop.

2. The fly shop advertised the rod as being warrantied by Sage. There is no warranty on Sage Demo rods. Since Sage gives the rod to the fly shop, Sage does not warranty them because they made no money on them.

I reported the fly shop to Sage and to Ebay.

You can read my post about half way down on this page:

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/373912-disappointing-sage-demo-rod-repair-9.html?