Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Whiting Coq de Leon Silver Saddle

Anyone use these, please chime in... I like (understatement) Coq de Leon for dry tailing and I know that the saddles are also useful for bugger collars and maybe streamer wings... But a few questions:

1. On a silver cdl saddle are most or all of the feathers suitable for dry fly tails or only a relative few?

2. Also, are there any substantial number of feathers that could be used as dry hackle (even parachute hackle) on size 14-16?

3. Lastly, does anyone use these for salt & maybe warmwater? What sort of patterns (I'll be venturing there)

Thinking of getting one of these in medium pardo. Much thanks in advance. Also if there's anyone who wants in on splitting one 50-50 for $20 plus shipping chime in there too. Please pm me if interested, post with any info to share.

Thanks

Have you had your questions answered yet? The tailing material is from the rooster and the wet fly stuff is from the hen

Chugbug,

Here’s a link to one of Pete Gray’s flies that uses Cdl for a saltwater pattern.  He uses those hackles quite a bit in his patterns so goggle him and 

you'll see some beautiful stuff.  https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-streamers-tie-better/the-welded-phly

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

Have you had your questions answered yet? The tailing material is from the rooster and the wet fly stuff is from the hen

Not yet... it's been a while, huh? Still interested.... Are the dry fly tailing feathers limited to the same type of spade hackle you'd use on a normal dry fly neck (that same region of the pelt), only with a CDL rooster neck?

1 hour ago, Mogup said:

Pete Gray’s flies

Thanks! Haven't seen him around here for a while. Looks like his phlies use a whiting CDL rooster saddle (among others). Any idea if those aalso double for dry fly tailing, or is that the spade feathers from the side of a CDL rooster cape (per above)?

Much thanks, guys

He has moved down to the Carolinas .  Still tying but with albies more in mind but he uses CDL hackle in those flies as well.

I can highly recommend CDL as a versatile fly tying hackle, but first to your questions.   A CDL saddle will provide a lifetime of tailing fibers as just about every feather will have a non-webby mid and tip section.  The exception will be the very large spade hackle at the bottom of the saddle.  You won’t find any small feathers for small flies or dry flies on a CDL saddle.  CDL saddles are indeed suitable for saltwater flies; rooster capes are better.

I use CDL for a variety of fly types- Decievers, clousers, and temple dogs.  The feathers, especially from capes are very durable, stiffer than typical hackle and more translucent.  They are also significantly cheaper than traditional hackle.
Here are some links to pieces I’ve written about CDL
Pink Thing I recently used these ties with CDL tails in northern australia on Barra, they exceptionally durable.
Chartreuse badger CDL rooster hackle is my goto hackle for seatrout decievers. 

CDL rooster fibers are quite different from spade hackle fibers.  I personally prefer CDL for tailing. The fibers are stiffer longer and straighter than spade hackle fibers, IMO.  Also the speckling of CDL makes for a more lifelike appearance, again my opinion. As mikemac1 said there's also some schlappen on the saddle too. CDL hen is great for wets. Collars, legs, and yes tailing fibers too. The hen comes in a large variety of colors also.  The hen feathers are large, but you can always use as short a length as you need. Like for stone fly legs.  Here's Charlie Craven using CDL hen as a collar. 
https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/problem-child/375335

and here  for stone fly nymph legs.

https://charliesflyboxinc.com/portfolio-items/two-bit-stone/?portfolioCats=1836%2C1837%2C1838%2C1839%2C1840%2C1841%2C1842%2C1843

To answer specifically:

1. On a silver cdl saddle are most or all of the feathers suitable for dry fly tails or only a relative few?

Most all of them are suitable for tailing.

2. Also, are there any substantial number of feathers that could be used as dry hackle (even parachute hackle) on size 14-16?

Not really. The structure of the feather isn't as dense as a "normal" saddle or cape feather. As you can see in the pictures. 

I don't really tie for salt or warmwater so can't answer directly. mikemac1 did. I see no reason you couldn't use hen for warm water, maybe rooster too, but nothing is coming to mind

As you can see I have both rooster and hen saddles. I'll get another couple of hens as time goes on. The rooster is a medium pardo, that fit's most of my tailing needs.  Hope that all helps.

CDLComparison.jpg

CDLHen.jpg

CDLRooster.jpg

I've got the hen and rooster capes.  The hen is great for buggers.  The rooster is great for tailing hackle and legs on nymphs.  Just prior to the feather shortage several years back I bought several CDL saddles to make sure I had them to use in the years ahead.  I really like them ………. a lot.