Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

I learned something today

I am off today, so I got up early and set out to catch a good bass like I have not caught in a while. Lots of movement in the shallows, but no takers for the zonker streamer. I realized this was not going to work, so I went to plan b and tied a hares ear nymph to simply catch some bluegills.

The good news: I caught four peacock bass, two over two pounds, three good Mayans and three buegills, one of them a slab.

The bad: most of the bigger fish had sores from previous hooks, but what really bothered me was that the biggest peacock had half his face ripped open on one side, as if somebody did a bass tournament type of hookset on its cheek.

No wonder why they are finicky and only took the nymph.

I wonder if some of those scars were from people trying to snag them. I remember back in Miami I used to see people all the time walking the Interstate canal banks with big trebles and snatch hooks trying to get peacocks.

What a shame.

That's the thing about fishing, is it should be a learning experience every trip. Then using what you learned the next trip. Then again, sometimes on the next trip you may have to revert back to what didn't work the first time. I think that in itself is the beauty of it all. If it was easy every time, it wouldn't be as fun.

Way to go figuring it out. When me and Zip went to Miami this past July. I threw everything in my box with no success. Frustration had set in, until zip nailed a nice peacock on a little bitty trout fly.