Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Kaufmann's Stone for steelies?

It's best to cement the turkey feather prior to use. I use several coats of a Spray Shine to toughen it. I'm sure Varathane or any polyurethane would work as well.

One of the tyers at last year's Expo used head cement. I bet OSD has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Yea I was messing with the turkey feathers last night and I was using head cement and it seemed to work well. I'm gonna try to get the feathers black with a sharpie and see how that works

why black for the wingcase?? the mottled turkey feathers make great all around wing cases because of the variations in color in them. they make it seem more life like rather than having one solid color.

I was just trying to follow the pattern that I put above. I've not not much with turkey wing cases but the few I did last night had natural turkey.

i see. personally i dont see why the color would matter much. i just like the looks of the mottled compared to the solid color. i do tie some with solid wingcases, but try to stick with the mottled most of the time.

After looking over the Menu for Kaufmann's Stone I noticed the size hooks that they recommended size 2-6 I would agree with Fishinlk and tie it on a 8 if you plan to fish the Great Lakes tribes.

Even though we have plenty of Stone flies here in the Midwest and most stone patterns are very similar, I believe with the size of hooks recommended for this pattern, The Fly pattern is meant to be a western stone fly.(they grow them bigger out west)

Otherwise I'm sure It would work great.

OSD.

I use them all the time here on the pm and au sable. For some reason though i have always had better luck with stones on the PM than the au sable,i have always thought that it was the fact that the PM has more gravel and swift moving water and may have somthing to do with the water content. I dont know though i could be wrong(wouldnt be the first time)

OSD you fish both the PM & au sable have you ever noticed this and if so do you have any thoughts as to why?

Or is it just me dunno.gif

SD