Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Anyone has a cavapoo? (Dog breed)

14 replies to this topic

#1 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:04 PM

Thinking about getting one for the kids.
Interested mostly in finding a breeder you may know and have good things to say about.
Bimini15

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,162 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:30 PM

Never heard of that breed before, but just had to google it and boy they sure are cute!

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:13 PM

No offense intended, but I hate the "mixed-named" designer breed dogs.  Wait, let me rephrase that ... I LOVE the dogs ... I just hate the pretentious name and the prices that usually go along with that.  They're mutts.   

No pedigree and just a way to sell mixed breed dogs for WAY more than the breeders deserve to get.

I'd bet the local pound has some mutts that look VERY similar to that for the price of shots and a bag of dog food.

GO to the pound ... don't reward a "breeder" for mixing blood lines for a quick buck.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:26 PM

No problem with the mixing. I have a problem with the mass producing, mixed breed or pure.
I am finding out that the breeders that really care about the pups are the small, family owned type places. And there are not many of those around here for Cavapoos.
It is easy to find the puppies through online “brokers”, but they have not convinced us so far.
And, yes, the prices can be ridiculous.
Bimini15

#5 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:40 AM

I'm not going to argue "breeders vs. puppy mills", since there's very little difference.

Just, please, check out the pound before laying out cash for a "cavapoo" or any other mutt with a made up name.  If you're looking for cute, smart dogs, it's hard to beat the pound puppy that WANTS to be a family member.

Barbed hooks rule!

#6 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:04 AM

We have a goldendoodle and she's great with the kids. We got ours as an unwanted.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#7 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:12 AM

We presently have a miniature poodle, yorkie, maltese, and shithzu maltese mix. They are all rescues.

Of all of the dogs we have had in 36 years not a single one came from a breeder. 1 was from the pound, the other 9, rescues.

We have usually floated around 2 to 4 at a time depending on circumstances.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#8 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

I get it guys, I do.
But size is a real factor because we will travel with the dog. Airlines have restrictions.
The pound and rescue places have some real cute pups, but they are going to be mostly big dogs.
Even the ones that look like smaller breeds are unknowns as there is no info on parents.
Bimini15

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,162 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

I think it's great that people rescues animals from the pound, my cat was a rescue so I get it. But I also don't think anyone should try to tell anyone else what to do when it comes to getting an animal. Some people like to know the full history of an animal, or the true linage of it, have records of its past health etc etc. Again its great to rescue an animal, but lets not tell someone else what they should or shouldn't do guys. Even though I do understand you all mean well.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#10 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:31 PM

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a mouthful...
Time for humor...
IMG-4883.png
IMG-4851.png
Meanwhile back to the forum which is already in progress...
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#11 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

laugh.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#12 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,163 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:47 AM

cavapoo smavapoo! lock your tying room door

9eYDxlN.jpg

my two favotite words: senior discount

#13 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Yes... It’s going to have to be a downstairs only dog.
Can’t imagine if he got into the hackle drawer.
Bimini15

#14 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

I don't know. Just looked online and they're cute but going to be a high maintenance dog, especially if your backyard is more weeds than grass like ours. Prices from $1000-1800 for them? We have a daschund/yorkie mix (named Dorkie) and you have to keep his fur brushed all the time because it picks up every weed it can. 3-4 times a year to the groomer. Course part of the problem is he all curlie haired but with the short Daschund legs his belly drags in grass and weeds even though it's cut regular and he loves to roll around while playing with the Chihuahua. We paid a small price for the Dorkie but the Chihuahua was a rescue dog and is almost trouble free. Took a few weeks before reaching for him didn't make him cringe but he's fine now and both are great with kids.

#15 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,162 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

We have a daschund/yorkie mix (named Dorkie) 

laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Reply to this topic