Fly Tying
wlshafor

Hello new to tying love fishing ;)

Hello everyone....

My name is Warren. I just got into fly tying and I can not wait to dive more into the art. I enjoy fly fishing as well as many other things.

Just doing a quick intro.... I'm located near Austin TX and I fly fish off of my kayak mainly.

Welcome. You're in the right place. I used to fish Lake Austin in a canoe, catch Rio Grande Perch (actually a cichlid) on popping bugs. They're really good eatin' and fun catchin'.

Welcome to the site, Warren. Actually, I think there are several members in here from your neck o' the woods.

Rio's are a blast to catch in the creeks around here. For eating I believe that they are related to tilapia in some way.

Welcome. You're in the right place. I used to fish Lake Austin in a canoe, catch Rio Grande Perch (actually a cichlid) on popping bugs. They're really good eatin' and fun catchin'.

Awesome, Texas has many creeks, ponds and lakes that are good for fishing.

Welcome to the site, Warren. Actually, I think there are several members in here from your neck o' the woods.

Rios are indeed related to Tilapia. Both are from the family cichlidae, none of which are native to the U.S. Some cichlids have migrated into the U.S., others were released from tropical fish hobbyists. Just south of Tampa FL, there used to be a number of tropical fish hatcheries, and the ditches and creeks in that area were chock full of black mollies, etc. that got loose due to sloppy handling.

But Rios are really good... just like bluegills (which are native, thank goodness!)

Flafly ... from several sources online ... "Rio Grande Cichlid is the only cichlid species that is native to the lower United States."

When I lived down there, that wasn't the story. But they're definitely spreading. Some years back, one was found in a canal in Tampa. Don't know whether it was due to fish hobbyists or natural biogeography.

Welcome Warren,

If you were just a little bit closer to Tyler, we could do some yak fishing. I just got my first yak (Ocean Prowler 13'4") some months ago and started fly tying just before that. You have become a part of a great forum with even greater people, all willing to help any way they can. Once again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Welcome!Don't be afraid to ask questions!I'd love to land a nice gator gar on a fly rod sometime!Heard they are plentiful there

Great kayak!!! I have a few plastic boats myself. I just sold my wife's Ocean Kayak Trident and bought her a Diablo Amigo

CF275AF5-7E8C-43D9-B0CD-7BC000ED5CBC_zps

Welcome Warren,
If you were just a little bit closer to Tyler, we could do some yak fishing. I just got my first yak (Ocean Prowler 13'4") some months ago and started fly tying just before that. You have become a part of a great forum with even greater people, all willing to help any way they can. Once again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Hey Warren, I live up in Georgetown/Liberty Hill between the north and south forks of the san gabriel. You should try making it to a few of the weekly fly tying nights at the fly shop in Round Rock. They are Wednesdays starting at 7 and free. Lots of really helpful people there and just an over all good time.

Was just out there for a graduation last weekend. Looks like you all have some big old carp out your way to chase. I wish I was close enough to hit up La Barbecue on a regular basis. Those beef ribs are the bomb. Welcome.