Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

WHAT DO YOU USE THE MOST?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Poll: What fly do you use the most?

What fly do you use the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Slacker

Slacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:11 AM

I am assuming I will be using mostly streamers this coming season.

Most of my fishing will be on warm water and I think my best bet will be to imitate baitfish as the lakes up here are pretty full of them.

The fish won't come up and use 8 calories for a two calorie snack. Dry flies are therefore out. Gotta get deep.

Slacker

#47 speedlite

speedlite

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:45 PM

Nymphs 98% all others 2%

#48 billb

billb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Striper fishing has got me using little other than streamers lately. Hadn't thought might about it until this poll.

-- Bill
BEHOLD THE FISHERMAN
He riseth up Early in the Morning And Disturbeth the whole Household.
Mighty Are His Preparations.
He goeth forth full of Hope, and when the Day is Far Spent He returneth,
Smelling of Strong Drink and the Truth is not in Him.

#49 youngbuck

youngbuck

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:25 AM

Id have to say nymphs for the most part. I like that I have to "imagine" or have the confidence that my fly is where it's supposed to be.

#50 Adirondack

Adirondack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

nymphs are 80% of a trouts diet, so usually i'll fish nymphs and when there not hitting of coarse throw on the wooly bugger! but it definitly depends on time of year and what your chasing. Up here there is an abundance of brook,brown,and steelhead, i love it smile.gif

#51 Empty-Pee0204

Empty-Pee0204

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

I am targeting Largemouth Bass. I find that I have more luck with these.
"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem."
Ronald Reagn

#52 adamtn

adamtn

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

My most used fly is a pheasent tail soft hackle followed closely by the olive wooly bugger bead head. i guess i just like fishing on the swing style.

#53 Zombiesarepeople2

Zombiesarepeople2

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

A Wooly bugger or a muddler minnow. those seem to cover just about everything if you alter them a little.
If the fish don't care..Then neither do i.

#54 rimmini

rimmini

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

I also primarily use the renegade pattern. It can be fished dry, or wet; on the surface, shallow, or deep; drifting down stream or pulled upstream. It'll hook Small Mouth Bass, Large Mouth, Trout, Striper, crappie, and carp. It is probably the best all around pattern.

Tied as a dry fly it makes and excellent terrestial. When it gets wet and won't float anymore you can keep using it as a nymph. For those deep trout I use a weighted version (size 8) tied with round leaded or unleaded wieghting wire. This version makes and excellent, minnow, or crayfish.

Good fishing.

#55 Gig

Gig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hi,

Tandem rig nymphs, beaded as a dropper and plain as a point fly. Brown, black, haresear, flashback etc, whatever is in the river at the time.

Cheers

#56 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

dries and terrestrials. there are a few others that I tie up, but they're only used on vacation when I go back out west. But for around here, it's defnately dries, and terrestrials.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG

#57 RodC

RodC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

I am a trout Tailrace fisherman. So my most two usded flies are Comparaduns and a nymph I tie called the Copperhead. A close third is a fly I tie called the Loop Wing Dunn- a dynamite little dry emerger.

#58 jlsmithii

jlsmithii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

hare's ear nymph or pheasant tail nymph. consistent go to flies.

unless a specific hatch is on and then dry fishing is much more fun.
Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

#59 Sarunas_St

Sarunas_St

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:14 AM

Now most I use classic wet flies,unfortunately there was not vote for wets,so I voted for nymphs smile.gif

#60 ted patlen

ted patlen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

trout.....emergers i fish then deep , in between and as a dry....

salt...simple buctails like bend backs or blondes