Fly Tying
fshng84

Micro Fly Rod

Been tinkering with ultralight fly rods and Micro Fishing. Made one Micro Fly Rod using a Pen Fishing Rod and a Crappie Jigging Reel. It worked! Then, decided to tinker around some more... ended up buying another Pen Fishing Rod that came with a Mini-Fly Reel. After a few more mods, came up with Micro Fly Rod II... Fun stuff! May be of interest to others.

12179395_f520.jpg

What would you use for line on a rod like that? I've heard of micro fishing but really don't know anything about it

I used a section of fly line taken from the small end of an old WF Fly Line. It fit through little guides and casts well.

Once was shown a walking stick that contained a two piece 5' cane rod. Wish I had some pictures of it.

Cheers,

C.

Whew!!! That was exciting! He almost lost that first fish when it made that run. What a fight !!!

It's too bad those larger fish moved in and ruined it.

Sorry ... People (like me) get sarcastic when we don't get the point. It's like using a sabiki rig ... for bait ... to catch REAL fish, and then letting all the bait go.

this also known as 'bucket list' fishing. for my river shed this is a list that totals 90 species of native fish. a heck of a lot more than a tropical grand slam.

Whew!!! That was exciting! He almost lost that first fish when it made that run. What a fight !!!

It's too bad those larger fish moved in and ruined it.

aren't you the advocate for quantity over quality? sorry, couldn't help it :)

Artimus ... I AM the advocate for quantity. I would much rather catch a bunch of fish than one big one. HOWEVER ... I do like to feel SOMETHING at the other end of that line.

I could possibly understand if you are tying flies small enough to get those minnows to bite and get hooked. Or if you were using, say, a rod made from the rachis (shaft) of a peacock tail feather.

Trust me ... I am not faulting you or anybody else for pursuing those minnows. I just don't understand the pursuit.

find, hunt, kill. whether it is a Black Nose Dace or a Tarpon, the game is still the same.

the lightest rod that i have is a 3wt. it is a great rod for hunting chub in a local trib. the same fish that i am hunting are used as bait in the river main for pike. as far as flies go, 32's are way to small for me, lol.

think of it as bird watching, only your after bait fish.

It is fun! Been bouncing back between catching Stocker Trout in our area and these little fish. But, from the feel of the rod, I suspect it can handle larger fish easily.

I changed the fly line and was able to get longer casts. No more hang ups on the little rod guides from the nail knot I used for the backing/fly line connection,. Fished it today, and caught little Bass, Bluegill, and Sunfish! Today's Video.

For me I usually fish for trophies.

But in microfishing I'm compliling a list of every species I've caught. My goal is to get over 500. I'm at over 79 currently at only 14 yrs old. Good start I'd say. These smaller minnows, shiners, darters, chubs, kilifishes, top minnows, gobies, sculpins, are all beautiful, many having bright vibrant colors. I still don't have a problem catching them then using them for bait as long as they aren't a threatened species which many are.