Fly Tying
Swampfoxforeman

Custom ARs

I'm not trying to be cynical or argumentative.

Did you actually build the parts that make it "custom"? Or are they all just "bolt on" accessories?

My time with an M-16 in my hands was enough. I don't feel any inclination to own or shoot one anymore.

Build from bottom up. I dont trust mass produced ARs because I dont know the quality of parts, if the Machined parts are true, or if the Torque specs are correct. This is the reason I build ARs. I hunt with my ARs from Elk to squirrels.

Hold up swampy, did you buy the components and slap them together or did you machine every part for those guns? If you made thru machining the parts I am super impressed. I'm not a gun nut but I am impressed by someone who could do that.

IMO a fully custom AR makes as much sense as a fully custom hammer. They are tools, barely distinguished in form or performance from many off the shelf units.

The term custom is too loosely used when it lumps together the pedestrian and profound.

I have maybe a dozen full custom rifles built to my specs -- around classic actions that have been reworked; high grade scopes in hand made mounts; after market barrels from top makers in the calibers and twists I want ; and highly figured, hand selected, wood that started in slab form to be be shaped and finished by smiths who are more artists than mechanics. Sure they are tools too, but wholly unique, pieces of usable art -- even though they have no engraving that defines the ultimate aesthetic 'safe queen' guns that are never fired.

Rocco

Jeez guys tough crowd around here lately cut the guy some slack lol.

Custom, customized, hopped up, modified, no matter what term you want to use, they are very nice looking rifles for sure!

happy.png Steve, if everyone felt the same about every subject, there'd be no reason to ever have conversations. wink.png

I today's atmosphere, bringing up a subject like this is sure to get some ... less than positive ... feedback.

Other than scopes and hand guards, I don't see much in the way of "customization".

Rocco has listed TRUE custom features, that aren't bought off the shelf. I'm actually interested in such modifications. Bolt on stuff is just cosmetic.

My post was not meant to be tough. To me, bottom up means you made it in its entirety. Perhaps this definition is to literal but thats what it means to me. Custom means many things, including the purchasing and assembly of components. Much like a custom rod. Please take no offense in my posts.

post-62611-0-19623300-1569411250_thumb.jpg

This is one I built a few years back. I use to shoot 3-Gun and this was my main rifle. It got to be a really expensive and time consuming hobby especially for someone who is ultra competitive. It's a really gear driven sport. I've got a couple SBRs, .300 Blackout with a can is my home defense rifle. And as far as being afraid to bring up the evil black guns because they are taboo I say bring it to the forefront. Tools is all they are, if you are afraid of an inanimate object you might need to be checked out.

I've got one that I use for ground hogs and coyotes, but it's not big enough caliber to deer hunt with here in VA, so my go to is usually my old lever action.

I have toyed with the idea of getting something in a larger caliber with a suppressor, but I've got to many other expensive hobbies as is.

Ok some parts are machined by me, and some I dont have equipment to make. Now u dont see anything real custom about it that is fine because it is more about quality and functionality than looks. All the ones I do for my self is for hunting Ill take that back I do have a 300BO with subsonics for HD. I will say 99% of people that I build for dont do parts I Machined due to cost, but high quality parts I buy. Still all parts are checked n verified to be true, lapped, bedded, and torque specs are correct. To be honest buying parts n putting them together is just as good. I can buy parts n build one to someones exact desires a lot less especially when I tend to use military discounts to get parts to make them cheaper. Heres the deal I buy n build a AR for $1000 you are getting about a $900 AR, but if you buy a AR from a company for $1000 you are getting a $700 or less AR.

I've got one that I use for ground hogs and coyotes, but it's not big enough caliber to deer hunt with here in VA, so my go to is usually my old lever action.

I have toyed with the idea of getting something in a larger caliber with a suppressor, but I've got to many other expensive hobbies as is.

6.8 is a good round for deer, it's fallen out of favor for the 6.5 as of late. I've taken a few deer with .300 blackout, inside 200 yards it's a good round. I bought one of the AAC handi rifles in .300 with the 8.5" barrel, it's so tiny and quiet with a can on it my 11 year old uses it as his deer rifle.

I have used a 223 for deer years. I do love my 6.5 Grendel better. Here is a deer I took with a 223.

post-64793-0-75075000-1569417942_thumb.jpeg

And as far as being afraid to bring up the evil black guns because they are taboo I say bring it to the forefront. Tools is all they are, if you are afraid of an inanimate object you might need to be checked out.

I'm all for pistols, as home defense weapons. I train often enough that I'm 99% sure I'll drop intruders before they'll get me. Can't swing a rifle around indoors, so rifles for home defense don't make much sense to me. I'm also sure I'll never be in a battle across my yard, so I don't need a rifle for that, either.

If I still hunted, I'd have a couple long guns for that. Different calibers for different game. But I don't. Just don't feel like traipsing around the swamps of Florida for a dog-sized that tastes like pine bark. Or a hog that's full of worms.

And as far as being afraid to bring up the evil black guns because they are taboo I say bring it to the forefront. Tools is all they are, if you are afraid of an inanimate object you might need to be checked out.

I'm all for pistols, as home defense weapons. I train often enough that I'm 99% sure I'll drop intruders before they'll get me. Can't swing a rifle around indoors, so rifles for home defense don't make much sense to me. I'm also sure I'll never be in a battle across my yard, so I don't need a rifle for that, either.

If I still hunted, I'd have a couple long guns for that. Different calibers for different game. But I don't. Just don't feel like traipsing around the swamps of Florida for a dog-sized that tastes like pine bark. Or a hog that's full of worms.

(What animal tastes like pine bark?)

(AR pistols are great and legal so a AR dont have to be a rifle. 300BO, 5.56, 6.5G, in a 6 barrel or less with pistol brace you can shoulder gives you the best of both worlds.)