Fly Tying

On this trip I met up with RXflyfishing from Instagram. He has a great instagram channel, and I was excited to fish the creeks and streams I see him fish all the time on his account.

The Jemez mountains are beautiful, and filled with small creeks that hold wild trout. This trip we were catching wild brown trout, and wild cutthroat. The cutthroat were of the Rio Grand subspecies and were very beautiful. All of the fish were caught on dry flies, and with a light action fly rod, so it was fun even though they were small. Also, the technical side of fishing such a small creek is expensive. You really have to pin point your cast, and while the trout were readily coming up for our dries, it was because we were using the right fly. There was a whole 2 hour period that trout were just watching my fly go past them, because I wasn't using the right one. They were picky, and also skittish as well. So you had to have the right flies tied on, and approach the creek with ease. Also, the creek was tiny, and lined with bushes/grasses. So making a cast was near impossible at some spots, and you had to be deadly accurate!
Now that above might seem like a recipe for a frustrating time on the water. However it was not, it was very enjoyable! It was very good fishing if you were using the right flies, accurate with your casts, and subtle with your approach to the creek. The fish were very happy to eat if you do it the right way. And I also was fishing with a fun dude, so we had a great time!

When I was younger with good knees and back, I'd have knelt down back a bit from the creek out of sight and stuck my rod tip out over the grass/brush line and dropped about 6 ft of line in. I wouldn't have tried casting there at all. But hey everyone has their own way of doing things and you probably know the situation better than I do.. I'd be tempted to pan fry a few of those little fish, the best brookies are the 5" variety from small creeks and real sweet, I imagine the same is true of those little guys too.

When I was younger with good knees and back, I'd have knelt down back a bit from the creek out of sight and stuck my rod tip out over the grass/brush line and dropped about 6 ft of line in.

Those were my exact thoughts as soon as I saw the water.

Especially the "younger with good knees and back" part!

When I was younger with good knees and back, I'd have knelt down back a bit from the creek out of sight and stuck my rod tip out over the grass/brush line and dropped about 6 ft of line in.

Those were my exact thoughts as soon as I saw the water.

Especially the "younger with good knees and back" part!

Yes.

Yes, if I was younger and had a good back I would have done that more also. Hahahaha. I guess Im rather young, but dont have a good back at all. I hurt myself many times when I was younger. Falling off roofs, skateboarding accidets, snowboarding, and much more. I was rough on my back. Haha. So yeah, I have a hard time even tying my shoes...