Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Caddis For Christmas II

Caddis flies only

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 jburge

jburge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yahoo!

Show-off! -- You know I'm kidding :-))

#32 DavidHE

DavidHE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:22 PM

I'll be tying sparkle quill caddis pupa.

#33 Horseshoes

Horseshoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Did I send deer caddis? What was I thinking? Maybe not thinking, I believe with the deer they are considered a wet fly. uh oh. Now what? see if they float fishy bob maybe I didn't put on deer

When in Nova Scotia stop into JD's Bows & Guns

#34 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

As long as it's a Caddis, it doesn't matter.   However yours do have a deer hair wing. rolleyes.gif

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#35 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

Mine are also deer hair wing from a winter red deer shot in Rogart Highlands of Scotland. Mine definately float. I guess its the season and body position where the hair comes from but if it is hollow it floats.

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#36 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

Looks like we are going to have quite a few deer hair caddis. Mine are CDC and deer (an emerger style). I use them quite a bit so you can't have too many as far as I'm concerned.

Shoebop

#37 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

While you guys are all waiting for the emergence I have a cased caddis weighted with 8 wraps of .20 lead (that's not that heavy) to work the lower level, then when they go into the pupa stage and escape from their case I have an extra fly that Ted Trueblood developed and is for the travel from the cased bottom level to the surface before emerging. I always admired Ted Trueblood and his articles and those written about him and since the fly was developed by him it has to be a winner.

Mine should go out tomorrow and for the rest of the month it's working on the Secret Santa project. More work there than I thought there'd be tho I do have a good matrix laid out to help with the sorting and wife has committed to helping with the wrapping.

#38 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

My flies are posted.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#39 border collies

border collies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Flies went in the mail today.

#40 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:05 PM

Nice set of Elk Hair Caddis from Jay Wirth arrived today.  Thanks for the extras.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

Fishing Bob

#41 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:48 AM

Vicrider's Cased Caddis arrived yesterday, but I just went to the mailbox tonight to retrieve them.  Very nice flies Thanks for joining.

Fishing Bob

#42 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Beautiful Web Wing Caddis from Border Collies arrived today.  You guys are going to love these!

Fishing Bob

#43 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

More beautiful flies arrived today. Piker 20's Red Sedges are a fitting Christmas gift.

Fishing Bob

#44 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

Glad they made it.

#45 DavidHE

DavidHE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

Sparkle quill caddis pupa went into the mail today. I also tied up a set of size 22 bead head caddis pupa to send along.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Caddis flies only