Fly Tying
bulb

The Burden of Flyfishing?

Have thought about this for a while and it's been bothering me. I truly love flyfishing, i sit and tie flies every day and dream of spring and fishing trips with my dad and friends. But in the end, I have to gouge a fish in the mouth with a hook, and forcefully pull it in before releasing it. This is of course extremely stressfull and painfull for the fish, and we do this for our own enjoyment. It just feels cruel and selfish on one hand, on the other hand we flyfishers go to great lengths to be as gentle to the fish as possible. Thoughts?

This has been discussed before, and it usually turns ugly. But I am one who feels, and am reasonably sure from what I've experienced, fish do NOT feel pain as we understand it. "Pain" and "Stress" are human words and human "feelings" that require the higher brain functions of reasoning and thought.

Yes, we tire one out when bringing it to the net, but it isn't being drastically injured unless you've hooked it in the gills. If given proper handling to allow it to recuperate it's strength, it will go on as if nothing happened.

People speak of catching the same fish two or three times in a short period of time. Can you imagine, if you'd had a hook in you mouth, how long it would be before you tried a similar experience?

ALL fish are dumb ... survival and reproduction is all they do ... no thought processes beyond that.

Ok, my .02. I fish for sport and enjoyment whether I catch fish or not makes no difference to me. I occasionally keep fish for dinner and im ok with that. As far as ethics of fishing just take care to handle the fish gently, use barbless hooks if your not eating what you catch, if you deep hook a fish take it home dont waste it.

As far as pain, think about what they eat lets take bass for example. Have you ever been spiked by a blue gill? Cant imagine it feels good swallowing one lol. Or bees spiders mice that im sure bite and sting on the way down.

As far as catching the same fish multiple times. If it was that bad would they eat again so soon?

I dont mind when people ask questions like this but we all need to support the sport or they'll take this from us too!

Perhaps you should take up the feeding and caring of ferrel cat colonies to offset the emotional pain of catching a fish. Kind of like carbon credits.

Really? It's a fish. They go great with coleslaw and hush puppies.

I've never subscribed to the idea that fish don't feel pain. Both pain and fear are essential characteristics of living things to help them avoid predation. It's what teaches a child not to put his hand on a hot stove a second time. Or step barefooted on a cigarette butt.

Humans didn't originate the capability of feeling pain or fear (pain avoidance). On the other hand, carnivorous predators are also essential parts of any ecosystem, to keep populations of lower orders in check. And nature isn't kind. Imagine what a fish feels when it is swallowed alive by a heron, to be slowly killed by stomach acid. And that zebra on the "Nature" channel, being eaten by the lion while it's still alive.

I make no apology for having been born a carnivore/omnivore. All of us are, although some attempt to pretend otherwise. We've gotten insulated from the process of having to kill our food by slaughter-houses. I don't get to fish as often as most members here, but when I do, I'm out to bring something home to eat. I don't fish for trout because I don't like them. I am conscious of what I'm doing when I catch a fish, and I make every attempt, unlike the heron or lion, to get the process of killing the fish over as quickly as possible. Those that got caught and released are the ones that got the best deal.

A true sportsman should have thoughts like this, respect for his quarry if nothing else. But the bothering part bulb nobody can help you with that. That is on you to deal with.

Thoughts?

I use barbless hooks and they're mostly small....so no deep wound to their jaw/mouth/whatever.

I try to fight the fish quickly and I don't even take him out of the water.

I rest them up well before I let them go and they all seem rather calm and normal,

and just swim off naturally. I tell 'em thanks, see ya next time.

Of the bigger fish I occasionally/rarely take home, there's always a tug in the heart when I knock their lights

out. I say a little prayer of thanks, & toss a pinch of tobacco into the water. A fish gave his life so I could eat.

GC59's comment from above rings true and the fact that you Bulb, share your concerns like this mirrors his words.

Perhaps you should take up the feeding and caring of ferrel cat colonies to offset the emotional pain of catching a fish. Kind of like carbon credits.

so they can kill a BILLION songbirds each year?

I'd rather fish for feral cats..... but it is widely frowned upon.

I agree with GC59, a sportsman should have thoughts such as these, and should rationally consider them, research, conclude, and decide what he or she is going to do then move on. I've been fishing and hunting since I was a very small child, so I must have come to grips with it a long time ago. I haven't had much opportunity to hunt in the last several years, and I do miss it. One thing I find repulsive is the current use of the term "harvest" when used in the context of individual fishermen and hunters. Stopping before I go way off topic.

If it is a moral issue of such magnitude that it causes stress on you, donate your gear and take up gardening native plant species. But even that will cause harm to some life forms. In fact, I dare someone to come up with any human activity which is neutral to "the environment" ...

I don't have much to say on this topic. I've just never thought of it. I guess if it bothers you, do what you need to do. Or, perhaps try "pointless fishing". I had read a couple of articles about it years ago. I also recall a few dry fly yuppies on one of our local rivers in CT who practiced it. They were a group of about 10 guys who would tie flies, and cut the point off of the hook. To them, that was all it was about. They tried to spread it like the Gospel to some of the other fishermen for a season or two....I don't think it took off like they had hoped.

Thanks for the input guys. The conclusion I've come to is that if I do all i can to minimize stress & pain for the fish, then I've tried my best to be as humane and caring as possible. I guess refraining from fishing is the best option in that regard but that's just not going to happen ;) Besides, the point of catching fish isn't harming the fish, we do it for the thrill of the hunt and exitement of the take and fight right? Taking the occational fish for the table is also fine in my book.

I used to fish with traditional gear for pike when i was younger, and alot of the lures had three sets of barbed trebles that unfortunately could snag in the gills if you were unlucky. Now i don't want to bash conventional fishing in any way but switching to purely fly fishing with single hooks was my way to minimize damadge. It's also alot more fun in my opinion.

Guest rich mc

the fish has no nerves in its lips, so just as a horse get horseshoed with no pain . are you sure an apple tree doesnt feel an apple getting picked? rich mc

John%20Betts%20Touch%20amp%20Go%20tag%20

you could bend up some new hooks with eyes on both ends similar to the hooks designed many many years ago by John Betts of Colorado called "touch and go (TAG)"

John%20Betts%20Touch%20amp%20Go%20tag%20