Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Articulated Musky flies

I am helplessly addicted to tying these things now. I love how there is really no limit to what you can do. I am on week two or three of tying musky flies now and its all but becoming and obsession.

I just don't know how I can stay up until 2:45am on a work night, to tie flies for a fish, I have never even caught on a spinning rod, and don't even have a fly rod big enough to chuck them yet. LOL

I skipped the flash on these and have a ton of new materials coming in for these.

These have 3 sections, and two articulated sections not sure but I think it would be "double articulated"??

I appreciate all of the insight on this forum and love looking at how great you guys can tie. It is truly and inspiration of what I can develop into as a tyer.

post-43467-0-83067800-1487777736_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-12916800-1487777742_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-49515200-1487777749_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-66391600-1487777755_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-85531700-1487777762_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-92742400-1487777767_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-79259000-1487777774_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-43301700-1487777781_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-83063300-1487777787_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-93902900-1487777797_thumb.jpg

They will have great action with those materials and the double articulations. If you don't have a fly rod, borrow one from someone and see how they cast. The beauty of tying your own flies, is that you then can make adjustments. I am constantly amazed at the quality of the tyers on this site. To a person, they are supportive and generous with their time and suggestions. I will post the pictures of the 2017 musky swap after the swap closes. If you are new to casting Muskie flies, make sure you have ear and eye protection.

Thanks for posting!

Tom

Nice ties, how are they to cast? They are as big as some of the brookies I catch. Do musky shred flies like bluefish?

LOL I am totally new to all of this and I feel ya. I typically tie size 16-14 nymphs. I will be picking up a 8 or a 10 wt and will be testing. my uncle has a few 8 weights that he uses for salmon I may bum one and give it a try.

I have no clue how they cast and such right now just learning the tying practices to improve on it. My heaviest rod is a 10' 4 wt.

How you tie in the deer hair protects the thread, but there are some weak points. I will be adjusting these guys, and playing around as I go.

I will say this though, these things have sparked a flame for tying that I haven't had in a while.

Very nice. Should have a lot movement in the water. Muskie and Pike won't shred a fly like a bluefish, different type and configuration of teeth. Ambush predator rather than chop and grab. If you're not using wire you're as likely to lose one by the have the leader cut by the gill plate as by the teeth.

Thanks Adam. I may have to get in on the next musky swap. I have a pile of nymphs to tie first, and some bass stuff but once I hammer through those I will be hard core back on to musky flies.

I need to get them in the hands of a few guides to really beat them and fish them and let me know they are durable and fish correctly. LOL I just don't have time with twin 2 year old girls, and a 4 year old boy. LOL

With three young ones, you will have your hands full for a number of years. I am not an expert caster, but can cast the single hook flies all day with a ten weight. The double articulateds I tie hinge on the back cast with the 10 weight. They work better for me on the 12 weight, but still hinge. I have been told that the "Belgian" cast will help, but have yet not been able to figure it out. We are all works in progress, so keep up the great work and post those flies. If you think tying is addictive, wait until you catch your first 40" Muskie on a fly rod. Have a great season!

Tom