Fly Tying
chugbug27

Anyone Using a Sava Vise

I just ran across this vise on the internet, looks pretty nice at a great price... Anyone familiar with it or using one? They've apparently got two basic models, and the one around $175-200 (called the rx) looks like it might be a fantastic value if the vise is as well made as it appears. I also wonder if the large screw and collet (?) Area might be a hindrance on small flies, and whether the base and structure are heavy enough for salt flies...

No experience with the Sava, but does appear to have been around for several years which is a plus. That being said, is it really worthwhile to buy a vise that might have to go back to Slovenia if something goes wrong? I'm also not crazy about the way the jaws lock because I much prefer a cam lock. For that price range, I'd look at a Peak or a Renzetti myself. YMMV.

I get what you're saying, but if this vise is well made I think it would blow away the peak and the traveler.

Fshng2...That link doesnt take me anywhere but to a blank page

I cant find nothing on this vise more current than 2011.

Website is down Facebook page is not current.

Looks like a nice vise though especially if it went for 200 US.

On the auction site ~169$ brand new, but no indication that more are available. Made by the same guy that posted them on several forums back then as well as FB and tube- Drago Keržič

And this site shows the vise November 13, 2018, and says to contact [email protected] (per Microsoft translator)

https://www.rd-bistrica-domzale.si/index.php/sl/?format=feed&type=rss

Byron had one, you might email him; http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=55234

Fshng2...That link doesnt take me anywhere but to a blank page

I cant find nothing on this vise more current than 2011.

Website is down Facebook page is not current.

Looks like a nice vise though especially if it went for 200 US.

This one should work

I like the jaw set up.  Its like the 3000 series renzetti.   I believe Byron did not like the vise because of its size,  said it was scaled down to around 3/4 of a standard vise.  Which is ok unless you have oven mitts for hands like i do.    Would have liked to see it in person though.   Jan tvrdek makes some unusual vises in croatia.