Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mop fly

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

I was looking in Pep Boys for some different colors and  found them with the standard size colors that I already had.  One was gray and the other an off white.  The off white takes permanent markers really well so I was able to do some different colors with it.  Got the rain gear packed weather doesn't look that great, but as long as there's no thunder or lightning we'll fish.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#32 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the info Philly.
Some of my best fishing has been in the rain.
Again good luck.

#33 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

Today a finally strapped up the knee brace nice and tight and took a wade with my mop flies. My knee didn't think this was a good idea so after a little compromising I parked and walked into the middle of the creek. The count was 3 dinker SMB, a bazillion Rockies and a kazillion sunnies. I sure wish I could of got down to the good bass water but the leg was not up to it just yet. Can't wait to get the boat out on the river to see how they do in a proper SMB environment. So far so good.

#34 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

Petsmart is closing out bunny dog toys that have these "mop" projections that are smaller and a better size for panfish flies. They had red and blue at my store for $2.47 each.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5260533.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#35 Charlie1947

Charlie1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

Awesome and great ideals guys! Purty much just get to tying, something will eat it! Seems like it is going
To be about as versatile as all the Wooly buggers!
Kind Regards,
Charlie1947

#36 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:16 PM

They still work.  Got my first trout of the season.

P4230371 (2).JPG

on one of these

P4140195 (2).JPG

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."