Fly Tying
Peterjay

The Eyes Have It

Thought you guys might like to see how I make eyes for streamers, etc. You can certainly buy plenty of stick-on eyes that work fine, but IMHO, painted eyes give a fly a nice individual touch. The only real drawback is that it can be a pain in the ass to paint them directly onto the fly head, and the results aren't always as perfect as nit-picking individuals (like myself LOL) would like. To make mine, I cut a sheet of polyethylene from a bag, and use wooden skewers to paint white (or whatever) dots onto the plastic. Once they dry, I use a smaller-diameter skewer to paint in the pupils. The eyes don't adhere all that well to the polyethylene when dry, so gentle handling is in order - I store each color separately in its own poly bag, so if the eyes fall off the backing, it's no big deal. They won't all be exactly the same size, but if you've got a sheet of them, it's easy enough to get a couple that match. I attach them to the head of the fly while the head is still sticky, which keeps them in place long enough to put the final coats on the head. The cheap acrylic paint from Walmart works fine, although the viscosity can vary from bottle to bottle, and the paint might need thinning or reducing. Putting a drop of glitter paint on the eyeball before adding the pupil can add a nice touch. I mass produce them, so I'll always have a bunch on hand when I need them. Not as easy as using stick-on eyes, but it's fun, and it gives your flies an original look.

post-281-0-79106900-1489072577_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-28647400-1489072595_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-29445900-1489072616_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-16503500-1489072636_thumb.jpg

Guest rich mc

that looks like a money saver tip. i mostly paint the eyes on the head of a fly using t shirt paint no reason it would work like your wally world paint thanks rich mc

Thanks guys. I wish I could paint them directly on the fly, but if there's a way to screw it up, I'll find it. Yeah Rich, it's bound to save a few $$$ long-term. Just get a couple bottles of paint, and you'll be in a nursing home before you run out.

I seen someone post about this using fabric paint and parchment paper. I didn't have any parchment paper so I used wax paper. It didn't work the paint stuck to the wax paper. Waste of time.

I really like the idea to save money and especially for making small eyes and not messing up my streamers or poppers. It would save me a lot of time because I coat inbetween each eye color so if I mess up the dot I can just wipe it off without disturbing the color underneath it.

I think I'm going to try it again now this weekend but I'm gonna use parchment paper and some plastic like the poster plus I think I'll spray it with Pam first.

They look nice Peter, for me though is so much easier to buy them also I hate painting, which is also why I don't make poppers anymore. Fly tyers dungeon is a great source for eyes dollar a pack.

I love the flies Peter. The eye thing is a great idea. What are you building the bodies out of though?

Thought you guys might like to see how I make eyes for streamers, etc. You can certainly buy plenty of stick-on eyes that work fine, but IMHO, painted eyes give a fly a nice individual touch. The only real drawback is that it can be a pain in the ass to paint them directly onto the fly head, and the results aren't always as perfect as nit-picking individuals (like myself LOL) would like. To make mine, I cut a sheet of polyethylene from a bag, and use wooden skewers to paint white (or whatever) dots onto the plastic. Once they dry, I use a smaller-diameter skewer to paint in the pupils. The eyes don't adhere all that well to the polyethylene when dry, so gentle handling is in order - I store each color separately in its own poly bag, so if the eyes fall off the backing, it's no big deal. They won't all be exactly the same size, but if you've got a sheet of them, it's easy enough to get a couple that match. I attach them to the head of the fly while the head is still sticky, which keeps them in place long enough to put the final coats on the head. The cheap acrylic paint from Walmart works fine, although the viscosity can vary from bottle to bottle, and the paint might need thinning or reducing. Putting a drop of glitter paint on the eyeball before adding the pupil can add a nice touch. I mass produce them, so I'll always have a bunch on hand when I need them. Not as easy as using stick-on eyes, but it's fun, and it gives your flies an original look.

Interesting Peterjay will the eyes stand up to UV resins and lites?

GC - I don't like using the UV stuff, but water-based acrylic paint doesn't seem to react chemically with anything else, so I imagine it'd work OK with UV. I used to epoxy all my saltwater heads, but in recent years, I've been using multiple coats of Liquid Fusion; IME, it doesn't yellow, and it's water-based, so it's non-toxic. It's also somewhat flexible, so it doesn't chip easily. (I don't have to tell you what those NE rocks will do to flies LOL)

Old Hat - I build up the bodies with heavy (usually white) thread soaked in Flexament. If they need smoothing out, I do it with my standard tying thread. (6/0 Uni-Thread) For the gold/silver/copper bodies, I wrap them with metallic thread from Walmart, followed by a few coats of Liquid fusion. For the colored bodies, I paint them with acrylic paint, followed by a coat of acrylic glitter paint, followed by the Liquid Fusion. I mass-produce practically everything one step at a time, (and let it cure on a drying wheel) so it it isn't as time-consuming as one might think.

Yes, it's easier to use stick-on eyes and other ready-made components, but having a strong artist's streak, I never buy anything I can make myself. I guess I do it for the same reason that tyers in Louisiana and Texas tie Atlantic salmon flies. (it's fun and it's challenging) I get a lot of satisfaction in catching fish on flies that carry my individual stamp. Most of the guys I fish with up north feel the same way, and there's a friendly (and unspoken) competition when we show off what we've tied, particularly after we've nailed a few fish. Nobody'd ever admit it, but we're always trying to outdo the other guys. (LOL)

Thanks Peterj I am intrigued by this and will use in salt water flyes.

The last 3yrs August thru Oct. I have spent weeks fishing for Albies only, that being said I have met many fisherman spin and fly during that time, names I do not remember, but I can tell you I don't remember anyone saying they were from Weekapaug anything, albie crowd or other. Realize I am from western mass. so it is a haul to get down there so I am usually at the mercy of time so its all fishing for me and not much socializing. But of course I meet and talk to people (the fly rod is a great magnet) I will make it a point in the future to ask the people I meet or have met about what you have asked me. I do spend a lot of time on the Weekapaug rocks and surrounding beach. Hopefully in another month the spring migration will bring stripers to RI coast.

Those are great looking eyes... Here's a pic or two of how I paint on eyes - the first step is to seal the thread with thin super glue (Krazy Glue...) so that the paint won't absorb into the thread and spoil the outline... the pics tell the story... After the eyes have dried (and I allow one day between background and center colors then an additional day to allow it all to cure - I coat the heads with FlexCoat (a rodbuilder's finish).

post-30940-0-03884300-1489237170_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-52220300-1489237178_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-92928200-1489237188_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-04136800-1489237200_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-52630300-1489237215_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-12708700-1489237239_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-74784800-1489237264_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-13693500-1489237296_thumb.jpg

Bob, you do a great job with those eyes. Every time I try painting them on directly, I somehow manage to make a mess of it, hence the mass production method. BTW - your flies in Bob Veverka's book are what inspired my to start making my own eyes. I just love the look.

GC - none of the guys I fish with are actually from Weekapaug. (one look at real estate prices should explain why) That's just where we fish, especially for albacore in Sept. - Oct. It's only good on the incoming, so most of the crew heads over to the Wall when the tide turns. I cut my saltwater teeth among those Weekapaug rocks. There are always some big bass poking around there, looking for dinner. Tough fishing but worth it. There should be some stripers in the Pawcatuck estuary in a few weeks - I've had some great days there as early as April 1st, depending on water temps. BTW - if you come down late May - June, there's some great sand eel action - give me a shout, and I'll put you on a spot.