Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Warm Water “Top to Bottom” Swap

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#31 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

Zip, did your order the popper bodies and put them on Hooks? If so did you get kinked hooks to minimize the tendency to roll on the hooks? Where did you order from and did they have bodies already set up on hooks? Inquiring minds want to know.

#32 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

Dubs.... do what ever you want. Just 4 Topwater 4 steamers 4 Bottom bouncers
Zip...nice job...looks good
And thx for joining to the rest of you.
Vicrider...yep you got it
I updated the 1st post.

Sorry for the delay Ive been sick..sitting at the Docs office now.

Edit:
And Flytier...excellent work as usual!

#33 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

Zip...Tips?
Lots of practice.
Ive bet youve noticed the double Barrel poppers are perfectly smooth compared to the Waspi Poppers. So what I do to get rid of all those fuzzy bumps is sand them right off the bat with some 600 grit sandpaper ...And that still wont do it but it does make them better. I lay a couple coats of water based
Sealer/poly over them before I begin to paint, then touch that up with 600 grit.
Then every color gets a thin coat of poly or thinned Liquid Fushion over it so the next coat of paint and I make a mistake it wipes right off without jacking up the layer under it...especially doing the eyes.

#34 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

Nice work zip.

#35 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

Zip, did your order the popper bodies and put them on Hooks? If so did you get kinked hooks to minimize the tendency to roll on the hooks? Where did you order from and did they have bodies already set up on hooks? Inquiring minds want to know.

I use J. Stockard for just about everything.The bodies I got are the Raineys bodies in pee-wee and mini mee sizes.The frogs are large and XL double barrel.The hooks are Mustad popper hooks thay have the kink.I put on a good base of thread,put on gel glue and then put the body on.You can buy some on hooks I believe.Hope this helps buddy!

Zip...Tips?
Lots of practice.
Ive bet youve noticed the double Barrel poppers are perfectly smooth compared to the Waspi Poppers. So what I do to get rid of all those fuzzy bumps is sand them right off the bat with some 600 grit sandpaper ...And that still wont do it but it does make them better. I lay a couple coats of water based
Sealer/poly over them before I begin to paint, then touch that up with 600 grit.
Then every color gets a thin coat of poly or thinned Liquid Fushion over it so the next coat of paint and I make a mistake it wipes right off without jacking up the layer under it...especially doing the eyes.

Using fusion over each layer is genius!I never thought of that!I really like working with those double barrels.Didnt have any issues with fuzzies thankfully.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#36 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:30 PM

zip if you end up making a bunch of these check out the umpqua u series popper hooks, I haven't priced many of the kinked popper hooks but so far with every other type of hook they've been half the price of other name brands.

#37 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

all done. ready for toe tagging

AD8vl3i.jpg

hc4Cxmg.jpg

iXv6Uu6.jpg

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#38 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

That is a beautiful set of flies Norm! Whoever gets these should go buy a lottery ticket.

#39 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

Yeah nice job Sasquatch
😉

#40 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

So how many guys here in this Swap toss at least
an 8wt?
Need to know for bonus flies.

#41 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

I keep an 8 with me anytime I fly fish
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#42 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

My primary rod is an 8

#43 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

Yeah I throw an 8.

#44 Crackleback

Crackleback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

I use an 8

#45 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

I use a 7 or 8 use titan taper on both never had a problem throwing big flys.