Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

WTB Ox Ear Hair, possibly badger hair

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

Looking to buy some ox ear hair in a light sandy color, possibly also other colors....
Also top quality processed badger hair (not fur patches, just the processed hair)
Pm me if you have any you could part with, much thanks
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#2 JC Hoppaire

JC Hoppaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:14 AM

Moscow Hide & Fur has badger hair in different configurations.

https://www.hideandf...als/Badger.html

Scroll down for complete list.

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

Both are used in high quality paint  brushes and badger is used in shaving brushes. I'd search the net for "ox ear hair brush" and "badger hair brush" or visit the local artist supply shop.  I've read that women's hair extensions could be subbed for ox ear. 

#4 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

Thanks guys. I'm already on the artist brush (ox ear) / shaving brush (badger) route, only so far with what my daughter would call "meh" results. I'm just hoping to maybe avoid some trial and error if anyone's gone down the same woven hair hackle road and has extras they no longer want or need....
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#5 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

Hi Chugbug27,

You want Asian badger hair, not North American. Good luck trying to go the paint brush route. Most Chinese suppliers require a one kilo minimum order for either hair. It's probably why the folks that still tie Pott and Grant flies use subs like elk or horse mane. If you don't plan on tying tons of patterns, you can buy Asian badger in patches from Sybai. They have both light and dark patches for fly tying. For ear hair, try Musk Ox guard hair. One good sized piece will have lots of guard hairs which are around a foot long, so you can get several clumps of weaves from a length of it. It also has a little variation in the color of the hair. The place I got a large piece from was Promise Land Tannery here. You can contact them and get any sized piece that you want. Here's a quick pic of a couple of non-woven collar hackle flies that I tied last year. The body is Musk Ox gaurd hairs and the hackle is badger. I still have to try my hand at weaving the collar hackles.

Attached File  IMGP1070.JPG   252.84KB   0 downloads

Regards,

Mark

#6 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

Exactly. I'll let you know if I find any.
cb27

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

elk mane

https://www.youtube....h?v=TgeFs3gjcIY

We do it all the time! Get over it!

#8 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

Thanks FT, I got it, just wanting to see if I can hunt down the real McCoy...
cb27

#9 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

I was just thinking about how hard it was to find those things in Mt. back when, no global trade, no pro fly tying suppliers, no internet, those flies must have cost a fortune to tie if paint brushes weren't the source. They would each had have to have Asian sources for the badger?

Shaving brushes are commonly made of European badger and where the hair comes from the pelt determines the color and quality. This reference may help in that direction,  http://shavenook.com...ad.php?tid=5535

If you have a local butcher that slaughters beef, you could get an ear and do the processing yourself. Unless those were musk ox ears they said they used.

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

Dressed-Cow-Ox-Ear-Hair-for-Brush.jpg_35

https://www.alibaba.....36533eb1RTRiez

We do it all the time! Get over it!

#11 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

Tjm, Yes, Grant says in his book that ox ear hair was $75 minimum purchase as late as 1980 from a brush manufacturer, and Asian badger was just as difficult to find though less expensive. The butcher idea -- as best I can tell they're removed at the slaughterhouses.

FT, yes, there are a few sources on Alibaba that do look promising, I'm waiting to hear back. (Same with silvertip badger knots). Prices aren't too bad, if I can order just a little.

I'm also gonna call up the sources Grant lists in his book, but those are nearly 40 years old now... You never know.

It's a bit ridiculous, I know, but the hunt is becoming part of the fun at this point. If I can't find a reasonable means, there's always elk mane, skunk tail, even synthetics, even moose or other hairs, and for nymphs gray and fox squirrel tail, all of which Grant thought were somewhat lesser though still perfectly viable alternatives. I'll probably try all those regardless.
cb27