Fly Tying
Idaho RC

Renzetti Master Vise Rotary Parachute Attachment?

Recently I was able to buy my dream vice a Renzetti Master. It is used and was pretty beat up. I have it pretty well cleaned up and a few parts ordered but I am hoping someone can help.

They use to make a special parachute attachment for the Master vice. It was called a Rotary Parachute Attachment. It has been discontinued. In past I am pretty sure I have seen pictures but I can’t seem to find any now. Does anyone have one of these or pictures of one?

I am pretty sure it attaches to the arm of the vise behind the material clip. Any help would be appreciated.

OSrpVLu.jpg

I've got one I never used. It's pretty simple. It attaches to the stem of the vise with a fixture like the one used to attach a bobbin cradle. The parachute attachment is a large C-shaped steel rod about 1/16" or so, about 11" between the ends, about 5" deep. The lower end of which fits in the fixture at a right angle and the top end with a small coil spring attached to it. The instructions say to adjust the attachment to the proper height and hang your hackle pliers from the bottom loop of the spring. This is what holds your parachute post up.

It doesn't rotate, but holds the post vertically. No need for a parachute tool to rotate. I never used it because I learned to tie a parachute without needing it. You could make one, I guess, if you had the cradle attachment.

I did just see a picture of the renzetti gallows tool under the sold listings on ebay. As described by Gene it needs to attach to the vise stem in order to allow enough room to wind the hackle around the post. Just my opinion but it seems that more contemporary parachute techniques have rendered the gallows tool obsolete.

Congrats on your new vise and many thousands of flies.

Thanks for the replies. The one I would like to see is part number X8008. The part number is listed on renzetti's Web site in the master vise manual. It's on page 2 under optional attachments and is called Rotary Parachute Attachment. I am pretty sure it attaches to the shaft where the arrow is in the picture I posted. Renzetti said that this part is no longer made. I thought maybe if someone had and old Master vice they might have the attachment.

the pdf manual from renzetti showed the material clip going in that whole on the master vise

i have no clue what the "rotary parachute tool" would be

the pdf manual from renzetti showed the material clip going in that whole on the master vise

i have no clue what the "rotary parachute tool" would be

You are correct. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Of course the material clip will mount in both locations but I think the lower one is best.

I know I have seen a parachute attachment attached to the upper location. To me the term rotary parachute attachment would indicate that it would mount on that shaft. Maybe the one I saw was owner fabricated. Who knows? It's no big deal of course.

if it mounts in that hole, how would the rotary parachute tool work?

give lily renzetti a call. she might be able to send you a photo

I called them on Thursday. She said it was discontinued 20 years ago. I sure wish I could remember where I saw that picture. LOL

Congrats on the new vise Idaho. Tie up some beauties with it !!!

Thanks. I am pretty happy about it. Unfortunately I don't think the vice upgrade will carryover to my flies. On the other hand spending time hanging around with all of you guys sure has helped my tying improve a bunch! The bar is set really high here.

I simply use the bobbin attachment in the hole shown above and a small spring I purchased from a hardware store along with a clip. It works a treat and the spring and clip only cost a couple of bucks. Works a treat!

I simply use the bobbin attachment in the hole shown above and a small spring I purchased from a hardware store along with a clip. It works a treat and the spring and clip only cost a couple of bucks. Works a treat!

Exactly what I was looking for. The bobbin cradle is 1/8" and fits like a glove. I think I will see if I can find some 1/8" rod and make one one. Did you come up with a screw with a knurled knob that fits?

I've never needed an attachment for parachute flies, but if you're doing hackle stacker flies, and don't have three hands, then a gallows attachment definitely comes in handy. I made one for my old Renzetti simply using some 1/8" brass rod that attaches in the same bracket used for the bobbin cradle.

post-60155-0-36202200-1492976260_thumb.jpg