Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Setting flies in resin.

33 replies to this topic

#16 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:03 PM

My grandmother used to set items (shells, seaglass, small sand dollars, dried seahorses, etc. ) in lucite and sell them as Cape Cod keychains and paperweights I remember her wetting things out first when setting or aranging in the mold. remember her working fast for set time and no bubbles. 

#17 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:22 PM

My first attempts....
IMG-5267.jpg

IMG-5270.png

IMG-5269.png
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:56 PM

Looks like you figured it out.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:27 AM

So how did you keep the resin from deforming the fly?

#20 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

So how did you keep the resin from deforming the fly?

Yes. That's the question. And what brand resin did you go with.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#21 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:06 AM

They look really good denduke.

Resin cast flies are pretty cool. I have a couple that sit on a shelf in the mancave that my sister got me many years ago. Always wondered how they did it.

Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#22 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

I used the on sale "EasyCast" 50-50 mix. I got the bracelet mold for $3. Used plastic hook boxes for the key chain deals. Problem is takes 24 hours to cure. Then took Dremel tool and sanding cylinder to shape then 180 sand paper then had to "paint" the easycast again to make the marks disappear and wait another day. Sheesh! Gonna use upthe bottles but too time consuming. Like had to wait hour or more for the stuff to start to stiffen to keep flies sinking to bottom, add few more near the top. pilfered my tailwaters/midge fly boxes to get flies small enough to work. The other problem is gotta be ginger to keep bubbles out when mixing and tweezers to work bubbles outa the fly feathers etc. The resin with the hardener drops might set faster likes in video but it was $28. Gotta be better cuz I've seen huge tables, bars with stuff cast in em.
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#23 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:51 PM

I'm going to do a bit more reading then plan to give it a crack in 2019.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#24 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:35 PM

Get the mold.....
https://www.google.c... flies&tbm=shop

#25 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:26 PM

IMG-5310.jpg
The long streamer was in the cuda's mouth
IMG-1539.jpg
IMG-5308.jpg
Gotta figur out how to polish resin casts....
IMG-5312.jpg

#26 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:47 PM

That's a neat way to immortalize a fly that has caught a great fish denduke. For polishing it I bet the same stuff I use for refinishing acrylic aquariums would work. It's called Novus and you can get the kit called Novus 123 https://www.novuspolish.com/

That's the stuff I use for polishing tanks after I wet sand them. I just use a small hand orbital buffer with the novus.

Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#27 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:48 PM

Thanks SD....HapDayBday and thanks for your service around this joint!
Next project.
IMG-5324.jpg

#28 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

I think youll need a lot more resin!

#29 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

Just wire wheel the rust and spray paint add to man cave for tying storage...free!
Got photo/frame for my DD. Best fishin buddy a father could ask for!
IMG-5329.jpg
IMG-0204.jpg

#30 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

Those two pics sum up what family should all be about. I hope my kids and I will be the same as they age.

Reply to this topic