Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dubs

Slate Drake

Got some pictures of this mayfly today, I have not seen this species here before.

I added a title, assuming I knew what it was, and added a measurement reference

SlateDrake.jpg

That doesn't appear to be the insect that I know as a Slate Drake (Isonychia bicolor), although it may well be you local name for whatever it is.

What species do you believe it to be?

Nicely photographed, btw.

You are probably right, first I've ran across these. Hendrickson?

Hendrickson?

Hendricksons have three tails.

What part of the country are you in?

It could be an Isonychia. Maybe not Bicolor. Never knew Isonychias to hatch this early though. I think it could also be Leptophlebia, Black Quill. Not a real common bug and I believe inhabits slower water. Hatches in early spring. Leptophlebia cupida Could your bug be missing a tail? smile.png

It's possible, but I tend to think not given the overall condition. The overall color was quite dark and I had to use a lot of light to get the photo I did. I know color is not a great indicator of species but just thought I'd mention it. Haven't seen much more activity at all hatchwise since, despite a couple warm sunny days

It's possible, but I tend to think not given the overall condition. The overall color was quite dark and I had to use a lot of light to get the photo I did. I know color is not a great indicator of species but just thought I'd mention it. Haven't seen much more activity at all hatchwise since, despite a couple warm sunny days

I think chances are good it is Leptophlebia. A very dark fly would fit with the common name Black Quill. Or else you just happened to find an odd bug of something that doesn't hatch in very great numbers. Did you check out the link above to Leptophlebia?

Not Black Quill which has three tails. A unique characteristic of the Black Quill is that the center tail is shorter than the outer two.

Jeff