Fly Tying
Barbless Bob

Gudebrod Thread Holders

Just wondering if anyone remembers the discontinued Gudebrod Color System designed a few decades ago by Gary Borger? I still use the plastic Gudebrod thread holders for most of the large saltwater flies I tie and wonder if anyone might have some thread holders they would sell me or know of anyone who might have a few they might want to get rid of? (They hold long thread spools, and I use a lot of Sulky polyester thread on long spools for saltwater tying.)

post-63510-0-71673200-1548960866_thumb.jpg

Similar conversation on this forum in 08.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=39271

I transfer mine onto smaller conventional bobbins using a bobbin winder similar to the one in this link, but purchased local at wally world or Joanne's.

https://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-SideWinder-Portable-Bobbin-Winder/dp/B001CE8JBU

Noahguide, Thanks for the feedback. The issue goes back a long way and I never thought of looking in the FTF archives. I have a few of the large traditional bobbins that will hold the long spools, but I really like the old plastic holders better. I 'm just more comfortable with them, even though they have some drawbacks. I once asked Gary Borger about availability of the plastic holders and he indicated that finding them would be very difficult. But, I thought I'd give it a try on this forum. I recently retired and now have the opportunity to tie and fish more than I did in the past, so I'm trying to catch up on a lot of things. Again, thanks for your help.

Camp'n'fish, Great suggestion, but the cost would probably be too high for my humble resources. :-) I think the original holders cost about $1.50 each ($2.99 for a 2-pack). I bought a lot of them and have a bobbin for each long spool of Gudebrod thread. But, I'd like to find more because lately I've found tying with Sulky polyester all purpose and polyester lite thread in long spools (440 yds per spool in some cases) to be extremely efficient for the projects I'm currently involved in. Anyway, I can live with the holders I have. Just means I have to unload and load new spools every so often.

Barbless Bob.....I just bought an old collection of stuff with a load of them in it.....send me a pm....Trapper

post-20027-0-18820300-1549117057_thumb.jpgBarbless Bob...…….I have one for you.

It came as a free trial thing from my supplier of fly tying materials many years ago.

Having way too many bobbins, I never gave it a try.

PM me here in Ontario.

Flytire, Thanks. Never thought of using screw covers. The projects never end. (Right now, I've got so many small issues/problems to solve that I'll never get time to fish.) I found out Mustad has discontinued their SS hook style 34011. The new Duratin replacement doesn't bend as well. :-)

Maybe a little late to this party, but Bryn at Dette Trout says they know of someone who just came into a bunch of these, if anyone else is looking for them, or if Barbless Bob really can't have enough of them... Just pm me and I'll put you in touch.

Sorry Vastator. Looks like you've been a member since 2014, but this is your first time posting.

Members are not allowed to offer items for sale (Trading Post Forum rules) until they have amassed 40 posts in active conversations.