Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

PEAK vise

I am looking at getting a new vise for under $200. Someone suggested the Peak vise. I looked at it and like it except its only offered in a pedestal, but i can use the c clamp from my existing vise, or get used to the pedestal, its supposedly really heavy. I am also looking at getting teh saltwater jaws.

Has anyone used this vise? Good, Bad, ugly on it? I emailed the company and they will let me buy it and have a 30 days to return it full money back if i'm not satisfied. It looks good for the money and the reviews I saw look good

thanks

Dan

I've never used a pedestal vise either I don't see how they would stay up when your really wrapping some thread tight. I might be wrong but always went with the clamp.

Hi-

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud... dry.gif

1. I don't know the Peak Vise; I've SEEN favorable comment about it elsewhere. It seems comparable to DanVise, Anvil (Apex), etc., and I'm sure you'll find features in other vises you'll either instantly like or that will move you toward some other manufacturer's product.

On other boards this topic gets answers like these: Under $200.00 -

Danvise

Renzetti Traveler

Regal

Apex Anvil

Griffin

Etc.

I don't get the theory Will proposes about pedestal vises being inadequate while binding heavy materials. Pedestal vises, IMO, are the perfect platform for mounting tough threads and fibers. I, personally, have never worried about a plate base moving while pulling or straining a thread against material, to the point of snapping thread (and NO, I'm not inferring wimpy 8/0, either - we're talking Uni-Cord on bucktail) or bending hooks out of profile - some done very deliberately to test the strength of the vise jaws; others distorted by being too forceful on long streamer or tiny dry hooks.

At several pounds each, vise bases are really only a drudge to lug around, if you really don't want to lug them around. I guess I don't mind lugging my Regal or Anvil or even my ancient Thompson Ultra around. Oh, and I find I rarely use the table clamp for any of my vises. YMMV.

hope I don't confuse you with my ramblings.

I agree with DFix, I switched from a c-clamp mount to pedistal a couple of years ago when I inherited an antique desk and the wife had a problem with the vise being clamped to it. Since changing I have not run into any problems with stability.