Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

one man pontoons

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 mdmayo

mdmayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the advice Steelheader. As you can tell this will be a new experience for me. There are quite a few ponds and rivers here, many stocked. When I talked with the supplier on the west coast, they said most of the problems occur when you first put them together. i.e. there are a few tricks to use like only partially inflate the pontoons before attaching the seat and rod holder, etc. I certantly don't plan to use it on any swift waters yet if at all. I can picture me coming back in on one pontoon all my gear missing and no fish stories to tell. help.gif Naw, won't be that bad.
Anyway, when I get to use it, I'll post the experience.

#32 Pierre

Pierre

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (Steelheader69 @ May 26 2004, 11:34 AM)
I'll find the name. In fact, if you want, I can pick one up for you if you wanted to pay the shipping back. Just would need to know what size diameter. I will get the name of it tomorrow for you. I'm heading down that way where I can buy them. Just to save you shipping.

Ok, onto boats. Yes, you should ALWAYS have a repair kit and pump on hand. When the weather changes, so will the air density in your tubes. I've fished right when the seasons change out on the coast. Had one day where it was cold. In the morning, I always pump the tubes rock hard (tubes ALWAYS should be rock hard, if there is play they can puncture easier on an obstruction). Then, as the day changes, I will adjust the tubes. Well, in an hour or two it got so cold it started snowing (this was April here on coast, so a rarity) and my tubes started getting soft. So pulled off and pumped them up to rock hard again. By the time I got off the river, was releasing air again. Had warmed up. Especially if you have lower end tubes (ones with a bladder and a stitched shell) you REALLY want to keep an eye on your tubes. Have had (first hand) and seen others who have had their boats split apart. Had no idea (and I was keeping my eyes on tubes, but had fish on so wasn't paying attention for an hour or two lol) and next thing I know I hear "pop pop pop". Got the tubes deflated before a total blow out. But others weren't so lucky.

Steelheader & Chromium,

they're called 'Rope Ratchets'. Google it.

I bought one for my pt boat anchor system. Wouldn't use anything else. Highly recommend it.

Tight Lines

#33 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:09 PM

I have 2 dave scadden boats and the quality and performance is excellent but i really dislike scaddens customer service.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#34 lewy271

lewy271

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:40 PM

I have a TU Columbia...It looks sexy but it hard to navigate on some of the wind swept lakes that I have tried using it on. It really needs to have a trolling motor on it for me to use it on lakes...For the fishing that I do I prefer my belly boat...

I would really consider selling it. It is not a bad boat but I don't do enough float river fishing to keep it around. If someone is interested drop me a line.

#35 NineZeroSeven

NineZeroSeven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

I have an Orvis Day-tripper (made by water-skeeter.) It's a not what you're looking for, I know, but I did want to put in a good word for Orvis. I bought that pontoon about 3 years ago. Over the winter 2 years ago, I was hunting ducks out of it. I dragged it back to the truck on the snow, about a quarter mile, not realizing that I was wearing the bottom of the tubes (I should have been aware, but I was extremely cold at the time...and didn't bother to think much.) Anyway, about a month later, I was going fishing, and with the little bit of expansion in the chambers due to temperature change, it blew out the bottom of one of the tubes. I called Orvis looking to see if they would be willing to repair it, or if they might be able to come up with a replacement cover for the bottom part of the tube. They told me to send it in, and they would look at it. I think I paid about $10 for shipping, and a week later (no joke - a week) I had a brand new tube, with all the accessories waiting on my doorstep when I came home from work. Talk about first class customer service - they didn't charge a dime, and had me a new tube within a week...even though I was actually to blame for the blow out. You don't see that kind of service much these days, so I determined that I would put out the good word for them anytime I had a chance. SO - in my opinion, you can't go wrong with anything Orvis sells.

RB