Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

G. Loomis Adventure Reel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lanvaettir

lanvaettir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

I picked up a new reel this weekend, a shiny new G.Loomis Venture 3/4 weight. I must admit that it seems like a great reel for $90. I loaded it up with double taper 3 weight Cortland 444 and took it to the park with my 4 weight 7.5 foot rod. The reel is incredibly smooth and quiet and the drag is really easy to adjust. I think this will be a great reel for the small streams here in New Mexico. I doubt that I'll ever use this reel for big fish but I might give it a try on the San Juan this summer. If nothing else, it is beautiful. I may just keep this one on my desk just to look at it! biggrin.gif
Here fishy ... Good fishy ...

#2 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:54 AM

It is a nice reel indeed. I've been using the adventure 5 for a over a year now, and it's still works like the day I got it. I love the quiet retrieve, and the drag has never failed me. Good luck with yours!

headbang.gif

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#3 Dornug

Dornug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:48 AM

I have one on my 2wt. because it's light (but probably not light enough for that rod) and love it.
Fly fishing is like sex. The first time is never like you thought it would be, but you never forget it. You get better with experience. You think about it alot. You do it when ever you can until you die. You always have fun no matter what.
....JStarbrite....

#4 dabalone

dabalone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:35 PM

I have the 8 wt. version and have worked it out on king salmon, steelhead and bass. Drag smoothe and strong, good buy but I wish they would make it in black.

#5 russh1

russh1

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

Finally I found someone else that uses this great reel. I have been using my venture5 on streams in colorado for 1 1/2 yrs now and love it. I was a little wary at first with the low cost and shiny finish. Has anyone noticed reflection into the water spooking any fish?

#6 frogpoop

frogpoop

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:15 PM

I found the #7 very usless as have 2 of my friends, the drags do not hold up well on Michigan salmon and steelhead after one season the reels were shot( drag) I was very dissipointed when the reel crapped out on me while I was out of state on a fishing trip....I am not your average fisherman my total combined steelhead and salmon catch were well over 500 fish last season.....( yea I fish a lot)....this year is Ross all the way!!
YOU PAY FOR WHAT YA GET
just my 2 cents

#7 lanvaettir

lanvaettir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

Wow ... 500 big fish a season ... that's industrial fishing! My reel has been on several trips since I posted this thread and the reel is still a trooper but I just use if for typical Rainbows and Browns (18-23 inches) on the San Juan and the Rio Grande here in New Mexico. It's only helped haul in aroung 100 fish in the last 6 months. I'd love to burn my drag out on 500 a season! biggrin.gif
Here fishy ... Good fishy ...