Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Cabela's Stowaway 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:49 PM

I picked this rod up on sale for $97 in March for our July trip to the U.P. Space will really be an issue since we'll be travelling in my wife's Jeep Wrangler so a rod that breaks down to 15" packed is a very good thing if I want to be able to fish on the trip! I picked up my buddies reel with some WF 4 line on it and took it for spin Saturday afternoon. It was a bit breezy on the water and while the first couple flips of line felt pretty decent I wanted to see what it was like once I loaded it up. All I could say was WOW! I couldn't ask for a better performing rod for the money! I could punch a sz 10 drake spinner out through the wind without any problem and still lay it down as delicately as you would expect a 4wt to do on a short cast. It has an attractive reel seat and hardware but the cork while it fit nicely in the hand there was a quite a bit of filler leveling the bad spots in the cork. I guess those are the kind of differences that help seperate these rods from the $200+ rods.

I would recommend this rod to anyone looking for an affordable travel rod, even at the regular price!
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#2 sparkleminnow

sparkleminnow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:41 PM

Just wanted to add that the Stowaway 5pc/3wt is just as good. I used it on Missouri trout last weekend with zero comlaints. It was nearly as good, in fact, as my Sage XP! Kinda makes you re-think that $600 fly rod! wallbash.gif

#3 Troutman

Troutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:37 PM

I'll add to this one on the 5 piece 3wt. I've had mine for two years now as a backpacking rod and a back up if something should happen to my Orvis. It's a great rod and at a good price!

Jim

#4 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:21 AM

I have been looking for something i can take with me on my biking ventures.. thanks for the posts guys.... cheers.gif
Work to live, live to fish.

#5 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:49 PM

I purchased the stowaway 7 (8 wt) 3 years ago and love it. That baby can toss a bass bug 70 feet. The first time I took it out, I caught 78 inches of smallmouth (13, 13, 15, 18, & 19) in two hours. I usually judge a trip by total inches.

I have had the rod break twice, within the first year of each. Both times the break occured at the spichet ferrules (not sure of the spelling). Cabelas replaced the rod with no problem. The last time they replaced (at their store in Hamburg, PA) they told me it only had a 3 year warranty.

I see that they changed the ferrules to a tip over butt style (as worded in the catalog). This is a much better design.

This rod cast as well as my $300 St Croix.
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#6 Duffin Boy

Duffin Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:04 AM

May I add, I have the 5pce 4wt AND the 5 pce. 8wt and both perform like rods twice or three times the price.
The 4wt is "back-packable", fits in the storage compartments of the truck and is always handy. Both fit into luggage.( carryon if allowed)
I got the combo which included a Reel, ( choice of Prestige or Drake) , line, leader, backing, and TWO cases, a hard tube Rod case and a reel/rod hard case.
Quite a bargin although the reel will become a backup or spare, it is serviceable and good value.
I think you will find cork blemishes occasionally with products at this price level , but Cabelas will accept returns for any reason and if you are fussy, you can get satisfaction.
My experience has been good.
Cheers
Duff
My Biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead)
will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

-- Koos Brandt