Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite Brand of Fly Line

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:22 AM

Cortland.

#17 Thibodeau

Thibodeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:27 PM

wink.gif A double tapper in any brand flyline will do. I like it because it mends better then a weight forward and it casts just as good as a weight forward line. A weight forward tends to over shoot. I'm more precise with a double tapper line. And it is a whole lot better for softer presentation. Weight forwards smack the flies on the water spooking the fish away. dry.gif
Kaylee & Scott

#18 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

scientific anglers trout
Hansen Custom Fly Rods

http://sdhflyfisher.tripod.com/

#19 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (SDHflyfisher @ Sep 26 2004, 07:37 PM)
scientific anglers trout

Same here.

if you are worried about spooking the fish with a bright line, use a longer leader perhaps? dunno.gif

#20 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

Royal Wulf Triangle Taper

OSD.
user posted image

#21 Swe-Classics

Swe-Classics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:21 PM

I must say that the Vision Presentation Flyline are really good for trout fishing i prefer to use it in quite small rivers 5-20 meters cross. For the seatrout fishing my favorite this time are Crystal river DT9 Vision Extreme Distance #8 WF.
The fishermans best friend is a fly.

My explorations http://www.smackibacken.se

My flies http://www.bindsex.se

My Blogg http://puls.smackibacken.se

#22 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Thibodeau @ Sep 26 2004, 09:27 PM)
Weight forwards smack the flies on the water spooking the fish away. dry.gif

Doesn't WF and DT lines have the same taper and weight at the front end? I thought the only difference was the running line.

I'll take S.A. in the configuration needed for the water, species, distance and rod I'm going to use. This would involve anything from a full-sinker to a DT Trout.

#23 flyman

flyman

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 05:44 PM

I don't think you should choose a flyline based solely on the mfg of the line. The line wt # assigned to a fly line comes from the wt of the first 30 feet of that line. The AFTMA sets a standard for what the wt of that first 30 ft should be. But there can be a BIG difference in the actual wt of two lines of the same line wt #. Look at the wt standards and tolerances allowed within a given line wt.

http://www.flyfishin...lineratings.htm

Now add to that, there are no guidelines as to where along that 30' of line the wt is distributed. The placement of the wt along that first 30 ft of line is what gives us the different tapers.

This article by Bruce Richards about WF vs DT lines is one of the best on the subject I've ever read. It changed the way I thought about the WF vs DT debate.

http://www.flymarton.../article81.html

I try to match my flyline to the action of given rod, and the type fishing situation I'll most likely be using it for. For me, faster rods perform better with a line towards the high end of the AFTMA standard. A slower or more progressive action type rod performs better with a lighter line. Not all 5wt rods are the same, so if you're using the same line on every one of them, you may not maximizing a rods performance.
Every day's a holiday and every meal's a banquet!

#24 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:38 PM

Sceintific Anglers.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#25 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 06:57 AM

There are many good fly lines on the market these days, all will work, SA Trout (willow) simply works the best.

...and Winston makes a fine rod. Congratualtions on your selection. So, thinking fo lending it out any time soon...?
Russ Forney

#26 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:46 AM

I've used various SA, Cortland, and Rio lines, and honestly have never had a problem with performance with any of them. My light-lines are SA; XPS and DT, both in medium gray. The 5-wt. XPS throws practically everything, including crease flies tied on size 2 TMC 9394 hooks, a long way, and the delivery is fine. I use the DT on water where I can get considerably closer to the fish and distance casting isn't required.

On the subject of line color, I, too, think that a subdued color is a wiser choice; why go with a bright line if you don't need to? On that subject, there is a way to dye fly lines to obtain more subdued colors.
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#27 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:55 AM

I like my Wonderline and SA lines but also think those Aquanova lines are not bad for the less than $20 US you pay for them.

I also think it is good to look at DT vs WF option. I have only recently discovered the pleasure of casting DT lines. They also easier for a beginner to cast a nice loop and there will be fewer knots in the leader for the same number of casts. That said, my WF5 floating wondeline casts very much like a DT so I like it a lot but they are pricey.

#28 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:12 AM

I use cortland 444 but I don't really care for it. It seems to get gritty a lot quicker and need cleaned more often. I have some of Cabelas line on another rod and it stays smooth are requires less attention. Both work well.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams