Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Temple Forks Signature Series Flyrod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:57 AM

My great day in RI underscored the value of the TFO signature series rods. Bert and I were both using the 10 weight rods (pure coincidence), and they received perhaps the most brutal testing possible over the course of the day. We caught fish ranging from schoolie bass and blues in outflows to ten pound albies off jetties to ten pound bluefish in rips, and they were all handled nicely by these rods.

The progressive taper makes casting in a breeze easier, and also lends itself to really turning the screws on hard running saltwater fish. Even schoolies can show off a bit on the rod, but when necessary it can be beefy too.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better value on the market right now. For about $100 dollars, it's pretty tough to beat. In fact, Bert is selling all of his other salt rods and replacing them with the TFO signature series. He's that impressed.
Mark

#2 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:13 AM

Mark - Not using the Atlantis? What gives?
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#3 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:26 AM

Chris, the Atlantis is not the right rod to use fishing jetties and breachways. Landing fish from the rocks is way too difficult with such a long rod. Plus in our situation, casts over sixty feet weren't needed.

But don't worry, I've broken in the Atlanits quite nicely on other days from beaches and such. wink.gif
Mark

#4 JayMorr

JayMorr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:29 PM

I agree with your statements. I find that TFO has a great rod for the money. Have you tried the TiCR-X series yet?

Recently we took a trip to WA and threw the TiCR-X 8wt and it was a cannon! Very light and quick response. I fell in love with the rod instantly. I really enjoy casting all of their series and I still think they are the best rod for the money in it's class.

#5 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:34 PM

Along these same lines, a friend of mine was telling me about his TFO 12' 12-wt. rod that apparently was made for the same purpose as the Atlantis, namely overhead two-hand casting with heavy lines and flies for maximum distance. Has anyone else here tried this one?
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#6 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:42 PM

Kingfisher-

Ping 2handthesalt on this- he'll be the right one for a good answer. If you don't hear from him let me know - I've got a call in to him for unrelated stuff anyway and will have him get back to you.

#7 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (JayMorr @ Oct 27 2004, 01:28 PM)
I agree with your statements. I find that TFO has a great rod for the money. Have you tried the TiCR-X series yet?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this.

Yes, I've had the pleasure of casting the TiCR-X rods, but haven't ever fished with them. I thought that they were a joy to cast, and perfectly suited to my casting style.
Mark