Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dan Vise

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:00 PM

Has anyone used this vise? I'm interested in the jaw strength, smoothness of the rotary head, and the durability. Also the cost vs. value.

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#2 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:42 PM

I use one. Can't beat it for the price. The jaws hold very well and it rotates smoothly. I use the rotary all the time. I do have plans to upgrade to something better in the not to distant future though.

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:48 PM

Never used one Art but i know they go on ebay for like $79 all the time so check that out when you are ready to buy. If they dont ship to canadia tongue.gif then let me know and i'll buy it and send it to ya.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 Steelie Junkie

Steelie Junkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:31 PM

I got one last Christmas from my wife and I've found it to be a great vise for the price. The jaws hold the hooks securely and it rotates smoothly.

#5 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:36 PM

Steve,

Exactly where I have been looking at then. I would like a Renzetti or such but $$$$. A cheap rotory for now is what I'm looking at. You'll buy it for me?!?! wub.gif wub.gif lol.gif

Art
----- Unknown -----

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:00 PM

And get reimbursted Art...ya know i only BUY thing for my B*tches like Will shocking.gif ...now were pushin it but who cares laugh.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:11 PM

Steve, make sure Art pays you back in US$, not that funny money. cool.gif

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#8 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:12 PM

hehe, my 90 buck renzetti aint such a bad deal...... i kinda lucked into that one. was a display they wanted out the door.

steve
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#9 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:28 PM

There is nothing funny about our money. Actually down right frightening today with the exchange. Somedays are better when I go to the bank then others. dunno.gif
----- Unknown -----

#10 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:40 AM

I use a Danvise as well (at least when I'm not spinning deer hair...). I tie a lot of large warmwater and saltwater flies, so i got the extension arm for it through Al Beatty to give more room behind the jaws for larger flies. I've got no complaints now. The vise is easy to adjust and holds the hook very securely.

Mark Delaney
So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#11 mmarkey

mmarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:24 AM

I've been using the DanVise for a couple of years. I really, really like it.

It's got a very smooth rotary action, the jaws are excellent and I use the rotary function all the time. They have an internal spring operated cam jaw not a rubberband like the Renzetti. The jaw is infinitly adjustable for hook size, I've tied as small as 28 and as large a 1 all with no slipping and absolutely no visible wear on the jaws.

They are starting to sell accessories for it now. I've seen an extension for the jaw for people who tie things like Clousers and long streamers, I'm thinking about ordering one about $30, and I've see a pedistal base for it as well. They also have a new luxury model available on the net made of machined aluminum in 4 or 5 pretty colors. At about $200.

I paid $79 I think at Orvis for the generic Dan Vise. I've thought about another vise and still look at them in stores but I can't justify in my mind the price difference compared to value and function. All that shiney metal looks great but it dosn't work a lick better. The more I use the DanVise the better I like it.

Buy one, I know you like it.
Mike Markey
BE THE HERON!!

#12 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:52 AM

Sounds like a winner for the money. Thanks guys for your POV's.

Art
----- Unknown -----

#13 Slate_Drake_9

Slate_Drake_9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 05:40 PM

I had one for about 10 months. The thing was great until it blew up one day. The rotating handle blew off the back end and put a dent into the wall next to my tying table. I returned it and got a regal. I will never tie without a regal again.

Slate Drake

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
Slate Drake