Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:01 PM

I got this book today and I have to say that it is the best "how to" on fly tying I've seen lately. Dave Klausmeyer is the editor of Fly Tyer magazine and is a full blown streamer addict. This book contains step-by-step instructions for 10 flies and pictures and recipes for over 100 other flies.

The book gives the basic historical background on streamers and tons of really good info on materials, hooks and techniques. The instructions are clear and comprehensive, I couldn't find any instruction that wasn't fully explained. In a few instances Klausmeyer shows a couple of different ways to do something.

I highly recommend tis book to anyone interested in learning to tie streamers. The book lists for $39.95 but I got mine from Overstock.com for $24
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#2 CharlieD

CharlieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:18 AM

Looked at this book the other day and it is good. Overstock.com you say? Very cool! cool.gif
Release-em-Alive!

#3 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 12:35 PM

"overstock.com" he says... as if I need more reasons to find for adding tying books to my collection!

Thanks for the info on the book, TB; I've been interested in the book for several months, ever since I first read about it on the streamers forum. I wasn't aware that Klausmeyer was a streamer addict; I'll have to have a look at it. Honestly, I was wavering on purchasing the book because I have his book on tying saltwater patterns and I found it to be... well... not really that good. I suppose it might be a good book for some, but it seemed far too basic. Anyway, I'll certainly have to order this new book of his, being a streamer addict, myself! cool.gif
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#4 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:16 AM

Has anyone watched Mike Martinek's video on the same subject?
Chris
Marine Scientist

#5 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:09 PM

Damned you Paul. All I need is another book to add to my list. Bad enough I collect old fishing books of the NW, but I also try to grab up flytying books too. Still have two of the new spey books to get. Now sounds like I need to get this one too. Sheesh. I hope the day I die, my kids actually KEEP these books. LOL.

#6 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:11 PM

One more question: how does Klausmeyer's book compare to the book on Carrie Stevens' patterns done by the Hilyards (in terms of tying instruction)?
Chris
Marine Scientist

#7 TroutBum

TroutBum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:28 PM

Chris,

The Hilyards' book is heavier on the history than Klausmeyer's is. The Carrie Stevens book has instructions on how she tied her streamers, this new book has step-by-step instructions on 10 different types of streamers; Rangeley, Bucktails, Maribou, Tandems, etc. It isn't concerned with just Rangeleys, but covers them all. The list of contributing tyers is impressive.

IPB Image
IPB Image

#8 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:32 PM

Thanks, TB, that book will go on my short-list for Christmas.
Chris
Marine Scientist

#9 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 03:48 PM

Chris-

If Mike had done or two more patterns on the video it would have increased the teaching value, but it's a very good video regardless.

I have the (Hilyard) Stevens book- love it! Paul, are you saying 'yes', get the Klausmeyer?

#10 TroutBum

TroutBum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:03 PM

Dave,

I do recommend the Klausmeyer book, it is an excellent book IMHO.
IPB Image
IPB Image