Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Getting Started Tying

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

Green Caddis sell a good starter vise and tools for the beginner

http://www.greencadd...products_id=157

OSD.
user posted image

#17 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

I don't know about trusting that Green Caddis guy. Heard he was hording hats too. wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

#18 NMflyguy

NMflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

I had, and still have a cabellas kit vice and tools... it was given to me as a gift and i have bought new tools to replace everything in the kit. dont buy one. This was the only vise i had ever used , so i didnt know the difference until i bought a new vise a coupe weeks ago. I bought a griffin mongoose and i just love it compared to what i was used to. It makes tying so much easier to have the right tools. You should decide what you're willing to spend on a vise, and look at your options in that price range. I have to tell you, get quality tools to start with, or you'll spend more money in the long run.

As everyone else said, You can get by with these few things

-vise of course.
-pair of good, straight scissors, and maybe a cheap $5.00 pair for the tough stuff
-a bobbin, probably ceramic
-a bodkin.. this is a must have, and you can get one that doubles as a half hitch tool
-I'll add to this list, a bobbin threader. i think i'd go crazy without one.

you should be able to get all of your tools, a nice vise, and all the materials to tie the venerable wooly bugger that steve(steeldrifter) mentioned from GCO if you want, and you should get away for between $100-$150 depending on the vise of course... could spend more (much more)than that on a vise if you're lookin for something fancy. hehe.

just ask around here if you have questions about the things you've chosen, everyone round here has an opinion.

Josh
maybe i'll do a step by step wooly bugger for people who may need a good first fly... I think thats a project i could handle. lol

#19 tightlines

tightlines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:58 PM

usually you can get the items seperatley for the same price as whats in the kit. I noticed that many of the kits I look at they come with only small amounts of material. Some materials can be use to tie multiple flies. Also, when you start out you'll tie some flies up that you are not happy with and if you are like me that fly gets thrown into a box until I run out of hooks and I break them down (so you are loosing some materials again). Keep an I out for deals on furs and feathers. When you first start out tying its sometimes better to buy the materials that are on sale (they are usually of lesser quality or messed up colors that nobody wants) and then as you tying improves pick up some higher quality materials for the flies that you will be fishing with or swapping with.

tightlines.

#20 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:07 AM

Kingfisher, I seem to have gotten your attention! Yes, there are crankbaits that cost about $20- they are the Castaic brand made in California for the big bass that lurk in the southern California lakes. You can get a spinnerbait for about a buck at Wal-Mart and crankbaits start at about $4 a pop. For all the folks on the forum, has anyone done a "study" of how much it costs to tie a fly? I tie flies with very few components. Most have only three or four parts plus the hook. I would rather lose one fly than one expensive crankbait. One of these days I'll run a new topic and show you just how cheap I really am. rolleyes.gif

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#21 NMflyguy

NMflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:54 PM

hooks, top grade hackle, and good thread, you'll spend about $0.50 a fly or less if you use every scrap from your necks etc.. But seeing as that probablly wont happen knowing me, its probably more. smile.gif

Josh