Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Scott "G" series 3wt?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:18 PM

I am in the Market for a 3wt, for my general trout rod. Ideally, I wan't a rod that will lay down a small dry softly, turn over a weighted nymph and maybe even handle very small streamers, yet will protect light tippets. 3-5 peice for storage is a must. I would like to have the fun of a lighter rod for Brookies and 'Gills, but the confidence that it will handle a 20" should the occasion arise.

I am told the Scott G will fit the bill, it felt nice in the hand and the workmanship was impeccable. At $595 I want to be sure, I'll cast it of course before committing, just hoping for some input.

Peddler? help.gif
Life happens!

#2 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

The first rod that I ever built was a 3wt 3pc 6'11" Scott G series, and it is still my favorite graphite 3wt of all time.

It does have more power than you'd expect from a 3wt, but will still handle very small tippets. I have landed everything from 1" smolt to 24" rainbows to 40" kings on mine (well, the reel did most of the work on the king, but at least I can say I did it!).

I did break the mid section one cold and early spring after being a bit too aggressive when setting the hook on a large trout. With Scott's warranty, I had a new section in hand within a week though!

With that said, the 4wt 4pc 9' version of the same rod is even better IMO, mostly because it is more versatile and will handle windy conditions and distance casts a bit better.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, even given the near-$600 price tag.

Of course, you could buy the blank for $310, or whatever they are currently going for, and build it yourself...

#3 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Carl!

Building a rod is not in the cards right now, too many other things to get done first.

I was looking at the 3 peice, 8', medium action.

I believe the 9' is a fast action. I think I want a softer rod, provided it is still versatile.

Is a sink tip even an option with a 3wt?
Life happens!

#4 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:17 PM

A heavy sink tip might be pushing it a bit, especially with an 8'. I often use a couple pieces of split shot with my 6'11, and it works pretty well, so if you kept the density of the line comparatively low I bet you'd be OK.

#5 johnnyquest

johnnyquest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:17 PM

Hey John,
I have that same rod, it was a 2 piece and i had it built into a spinning rod. I think i had Msuiceman tie it up for me. I use it as a bobber rod primarily, w/ no weight and ultralight jigs. It can cast like a sob, loads weight no problem and great for nice soft lob casts too.

Even though i use the rod for a different purpose it is still my favorite rod, before you do anything though send MSUICEMAN a pm.... he has a few websites that sell discontinued rods and blanks at greatly discounted prices. I know that is how i picked up my blank, and i know they sell rods too. I just can't remember the website name. I saved a few hundred dollars though buying everything online, it may be worth the effort for yah...

Good luck,
John
(hopefully we can fish sometime this winter)

#6 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:29 PM

I have a 6'3" 3 piece 3wt G series rod. It's a great rod for small creeks thanks to its length, and it works well for fishing tiny tricos. That's about the only thing I use it for, as slower action rods are not what I favor. Scott rods are of very good quality, and the G series is no different...

#7 Darrin

Darrin

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 10:57 AM

I only have experience with the G844-5 (8'4" 4 weight,5 pc) and it is indeed a soft very sweet rod. Maybe take a Winston LT or B2x out for a test cast or two.The LT is a moderate-slow rod with a soft (tippet protecting) tip and casts like a dream. The B2x though rated fast by Winston is more of a progressive rod with a soft tip (faster than the LT) that has some strength further down the rod which is shown when plenty of line is in the air or when fighting a fish (likely the boron revealing itself). Both of these rods are very sweet (in 3 weights) though have their own distinct personalities.