Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tibor Light?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:24 PM

Anyone own one of the these reels?

I'm looking for a 3wt outfit. I checked out the Bauer Superlite, Ross Evolution and the Tibor Light.

I must say the Tibor was the most interesting. The drum type drag kinda scares me though, I'm not really sure it will be reliable.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks
Life happens!

#2 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:24 PM

I have used various Bauer reels and have loved them all. I fish Lamson most of the time and my 3-wt. is a Teton Tioga. It's light and the drag has never let me down. Good luck!
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#3 Houdini

Houdini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:11 AM

I use one, but when I first got it, I discovered that the drag didn't work at all. At the time I was out on the West Branch of the Delaware and tried to crank down the drag on a nice brown. Surprize! No drag at all.
I wrote Tibor and they were at first going to send me a new spring but when I asked how easy it was going to be to fit, they had me send it back and replaced it themselves.
They told me the drag was designed to protect light tippets. Well, it did, I suppose. Now it seems to work OK and I have to say that I like the reel. Tad expensive though. I now mostly use a Battenkill barstock. The Tibor gets duty as a backup or when I want to overline.
If you decide to go that way, there have been a bunch showing up on Ebay of late.

#4 Todder

Todder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:48 AM

I bought a Tibor light and frankly I was underwhelmed. The drag is not adjustable enough for my taste. I have to agree with Houdini on Battenkill Barstock. I bought one for my three weight, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite reels.

#5 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:31 PM

Thanks guys, that the kind of input I was hoping for. One way or the other. smile.gif
Life happens!