Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Simms Wading Jacket

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Duffin Boy

Duffin Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:29 AM

I am weighing the difference between the Simms Gortex Jacket ( not the Guide $500.00 one) and the Cabelas Gortex wading jacket.
Anyone have any feedback on either one?
I have tried on the Simms but the Cabelas would be sight unseen.
Thanks
Cheers
Duff
My Biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead)
will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

-- Koos Brandt

#2 bluenose

bluenose

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:19 PM

Hi - (I think I've seen your name on the hipwader site.)

I have the Cabela's wading jacket - 149.95 US in their current catalogue.

I purchased it sight unseen and have been happy with it. Lots of pockets and water repellency has been good.

In looking around at other models i.e. Simms, Bare, Orvis, LL Bean, etc., Cabela's seem a good value even in Canadian $.

Check Cabela's return policy as I believe they will take an item back for whatever reason.

Hope this helps.

#3 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 06:12 PM

I've got the Simms Freestone jacket and I've been extremely happy with it. I wear it in snow, rain and just plain windy days. I've never once gotten damp in it and keeps me warmer on a windy day with some thinsulate and fleece than my heavier winter coats did with the same thinsualte and fleece! Oh and it's going on its 4th year.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#4 Darrin

Darrin

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hi there Duffin Boy.
My lovely wife got me the Cabela's back country packable wading jacket a christmas or two ago and its perfect.Its the shorty version and I know that its not exactly what you're looking at but your model should be even better. The model I have has a nice silent soft shell and is very wind/waterproof as well as packable .The hood is just right and well..I can't seem to think of a single thing wrong with it.It seems that the 05' version has a few more options soooo.
Cheers and good luck in your decision.

The flyfisher occasionally known as Coldreive

#5 Duffin Boy

Duffin Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the feed back.
Blue- Thats the Cabelas jacket in question, I'm familiar with the return policy but the first hand experience was what I was after.. thanks.
Fish- I wear Gortex and swear by it. Pocket capacity, features, drawbacks were what I was questioning.
Darrin- Nice to hear from you, wonder why I haven't bumped into you on the streams (Oh yeah, I'm chained to my desk and don't get out much!)rolleyes.gif

Thanks all!
Cheers in the New Year!
Duff
My Biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead)
will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

-- Koos Brandt

#6 Darrin

Darrin

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:50 PM

Ya never know,we may have passed each other on the Grand or somewhere.I would have been the guy not watching were my feet where being placed and thus stumbling all over the place. I'm generally distinquished by that and my poor casting dunno.gif .
Cheers and good luck with the jacket

#7 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:21 PM

Consider Patagonia too. They invented the true wading jacket and have been copied by many. No one beats their warranty though.
The SST will probably go on sale soon as I hear their new SST will be a stretchable material.
I've had two SST's. The first one I sold at a good price after probably 7 years of hard use. I sold it because I found a breathable SST at half price. Patagonia is good at changing colors and marking stuff down at 50% off if you look around.