Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

kick fins

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 benorthcarolina

benorthcarolina

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:58 PM

Looking to buy some fins for fishing in my toon.

The market price for new Force fins is too much for me - though I've heard good things about their performance.

I know I could get a pair of the regular Force fins (as opposed to the deluxe models that you can strap over top of wading boots) on ebay, but I don't know if that kind would fit over my boots - which is what I want.

Has anybody tried the cheapo alternatives like Outkast? Or would a pair of standard force fins in an XL size fit over size 10 boots?

Any info appreciated.

#2 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:33 AM

bnc-

See the thread at:

http://www.flytyingf...?showtopic=7297

I've used the Caddis fins for several years and always thought they worked OK. Never used anything else so I really can't compare.

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#3 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:43 AM

After having both the Caddis fins (still got 'em) and the Force Fins I've settled on some relatively cheap, flat fins with nylon heel cup and nylon straps.These fins have no name on them but are just about perfect for my use.
The Caddis fins are just too darn heavy and are a bear to adjust. They are the older model with 6 huge, brass shoelace eyelets. They are now my loaners.
I expect disagreement with my take on Force Fins but, for me anyhow, they simply tear up my knee's. Sure they are efficent and have tons of power, but I like being able to walk after floating. On the up-stroke I think their efficiency is what hobbles me.
My use for fins is mainly lakes and ponds just to hold position against a breeze or to slowly work a shore. I also use them on SOME rivers I know to be of mild current and relatively snag-free.
Again, this is just MY take, your usage may vary! wink.gif