Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Float tube

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

After looking at some ponds in and around town, I decided to get a tube to explore them. Not know squat about tubes, other then a U shape is preferred over a round one; did I get a deal?

Browning tube

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#2 MuskyOnTheFly

MuskyOnTheFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

That's a pretty good deal considering the fins are included. It should be fine for getting around local ponds. I was also thinking about getting a tube, but am leaning more towards getting an inflatable pontoon boat.
-MuskyOnTheFly
There's three things that we're never late for here in Montana: Church, work, and fishing.
--from A River Runs Through it

#3 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

If I had the $$$ I would be going with a 'toon all the way for sure. I already told wifey that it is in the cards in the next couple of years.

Art
----- Unknown -----

#4 MuskyOnTheFly

MuskyOnTheFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

The cool thing about pontoons is that they only require about 4 inches of water to float. You can also propel them by oars or some have a mount for an electric trolling motor. Pontoons are more for streams, tubes more for ponds/lakes. You should have a blast with your tube.
-MuskyOnTheFly
There's three things that we're never late for here in Montana: Church, work, and fishing.
--from A River Runs Through it

#5 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

President of the North Alabama Steelhead Assoc., Hogswaller, KY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:13 PM

I agree. Pontoon crafts are GREAT for floating streams and rivers, but they tend to set higher in the water and tend to sail in the slightest breeze on lakes or ponds, which can be a real annoying thing if you have to keep finning or oaring back to your honey hole on a breezy April day. Speaking from experience, the tube is a far better choice for the ponds/lakes. They are tremendpus fun and can take a suprising amount of abuse. I use my tube on a lake that is notorious for long, timber filled hollows that you can't navigate with conventional crafts or even pontoons. I just fin my way in and enjoy the best fishing spots on the lake without being bothered by other anglers for the entire day........6'6" 4 wt comes in mighty handy in that situation, too!!! Short rod, short casts, lots of timber....just a memory waiting to be made.

#6 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Jan 22 2005, 06:12 PM)
I agree. Pontoon crafts are GREAT for floating streams and rivers, but they tend to set higher in the water and tend to sail in the slightest breeze on lakes or ponds, which can be a real annoying thing if you have to keep finning or oaring back to your honey hole on a breezy April day. Speaking from experience, the tube is a far better choice for the ponds

You guys are gonna take advice from a guy that passes his time like this?

Even if he's right..... hubbard.gif lol.gif

Oh hi, Hubbard... LOL you old coon.... dry.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#7 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:35 AM

Hey Art, looks perfect for some of the lakes in Algonquin... whistling1.gif laugh.gif

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#8 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:15 AM

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
Not fair Nick....You know that I can't go this year. j_k.gif

Art
----- Unknown -----

#9 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:36 PM

Hey, it's not my fault if a van full of masked guys pulls up one morning and takes you away...pretty sure you can't get in trouble from work for that LOL ph34r.gif

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com