Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Looking to get a new Tying Vise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:27 PM

I currently have a Renzetti Traveler. I have had this vise for about 5 years and now I am considering an upgrade. One vice that has cought my eye is the new Griffin Mongoose MT and it's priced about right. I was curious as to any recomendations or things to avoid when looking for a new vice. I tie everything from size 18 dry' to size 4/0 musky flies.

Thanks!

Eli
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#2 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:50 PM

theres a similiar thread going on at the Tying Bench right now you might want to check out. I have a Danvise, it'll do hooks from 32-9/0, atleast thats what the video it comes with says. I like mine alot, theres alot of differnt adjustment options, cam operated jaws, rotary, comes with bobbin holder and instructional video. I got mine for about $75 including shipping. Bt's Fly Fishing Products sells them for about $80. They are a FTF sponsor up at the top of the page.

#3 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:52 PM

thanks...i'll check it out
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#4 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

I have a Montana Mongoose for about 6 months now I like it . It holds hooks great and the price is right.

fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show