Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Whiting Bugger packs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

I'm sure most of you that tie lots of wooly buggers and the like have seen the Whiting Farms "bugger packs" hanging there along with the Chinese strung hackle and thought obut them, then looked at the $9.50 price tag vs. the $3.50 for the strung hackle and said you've got to be kidding and spent the $3 and change for the strung. I was the same way.

At this point I can say with a clear conscience that the bugger packs are an expense that actually works itself out. With strung hackle there is ALWAYS a certain amount of waste, feathers that are either to short, WAY to wide or too steel of a taper and in the long run you end up throwing about 20 percent away. I started buying the bugger packs in a couple colors last year to see how they stack up and they are excellent! I have had ZERO waste so far and I get about 230-250 flies or so out of an average pack. The last pack I counted had 242 feathers in it.

They seem a little more expensive but they're worth it!
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#2 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:05 PM

Good material will save you a lot of aggravation as well.

Great post for beginning tiers. thumbup.gif
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#3 mgj

mgj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:09 PM

yep.
I love the bugger packs myself.

mgj

#4 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:17 PM

Great post for beginning tiers.

Being a beginning tyer, alot of the things I've read say to use low cost/quality material till you get the hang of it, but I think it is a lot easier to learn when the material cooperates han when you have to fight it all the time

#5 mgj

mgj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:25 PM

which is exactly why those bugger packs are worth the $$$$.

#6 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:39 PM

Are the bugger packs made strictly for one size? or can you tie a variety of sizes with the same pack?

Ive seen them but never really looked at them.
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#7 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

They advertise feathers to cover from sz 4-12 and that pretty well sums it up.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#8 flyfishtn

flyfishtn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

Love the bugger packs! They are great value. thumbsup.gif
My fly fishing, tying and random thoughts blog: flyfishtn

\><((((((*>

#9 sore arm

sore arm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

I like them alot. Little xtra cash but save on aggravationn and waste.

#10 steeladdict

steeladdict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:47 PM

I second the bugger packs, worth the money.

#11 Sawcat

Sawcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:48 PM

I also like the bugger packs, I use them for kicker legs on my poppers too. The quality of the hackles and the ease of use makes them well worth the money.

#12 Realtor

Realtor

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:30 AM

I checked the bugger pack at my local fly shop and found out that they are on clearance at 50% off retail. I hope Whiting is not phasing them out.