Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Reddington Red.Start Rods

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:08 PM

Flipping through the Cabela's Inventory Clearance catalogue today, I noticed that they have the Reddington Red.Start IIs on sale $80-100 off. Okay, interest piqued. Then I noticed they have a 4-piece 8' 5-weight listed for $89.00. Okay, interested now. I have been toying with the idea of building up a 4-piece (or asking my friend if she would build it for me) 8-9' 5/6 weight. But for less than $100, this seems better than asking her to spend her valuable time, plus is cheap than getting decent quality components together.

BUT, I have to ask, how are these fly rods? Everything I have read on them says they are great. Does anybody with personal experience with Reddington rods have an opinion they care to share? Ordinarily I am in a build situation, but this might be a good deal. Heck, a 4-piece 8-footer might even be small enough to travel in my backpacking gear or on my motorcycle! So, what is the verdict on Reddington rods?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

#2 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:45 PM

Hello wanderinwalker, I have a Redington redstart. I have had mine for about 3-4 years and I love it. I am not the best caster in the world and mine is pretty forgiving about it. I have 4 pc 5/6 wt with floating line. I can't say anything bad about mine. One things for sure you can't beat the price I don't think. I mainly fish for trout and some bass and bluegills so no really big fights on it yet. Hopefully this summer the big fight will happen. blink.gif

Hope this helps.
Jim

#3 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:03 PM

Cabelas also has the raddington spey rods on sale for 140.00 sounds like a good deal. TL Mike

wink.gif rolleyes.gif
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#4 lewy271

lewy271

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:41 PM

I bought an rs2 10 foot 7 weight it is slick!!!

#5 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:13 PM

If you guys want redington go to www.sierratradingpost.com they have lots of stuff fight now cheap i am not sure about the diff. between them and cabelas but worth a try. I love that company good ot deal with and will back up anything you buy. I am not sure aout Redington though, I bought a 9' 6wt RS2 and broke 3 of them one casting(at teh guide above the furle) one pulling a hang up out (iit broke at the striping guide) and broke the tip off the last one. I took it to the shop where I got it and traded on a St Croix. No trouble there. But was considering on of the 9'6" 8wt in that redfly i believe that was in STP. But who knows? dunno.gif

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!