Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Trout Beads

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

For the past few years i have rarely used glo bugs when fishing for Big rainbows on the kenai. The big fish there are just too smart to get fooled with a glo bug, that's why bead fishing is so popular. Troutbeads are the best kind and i have to say if you use glo bugs a lot try these cuz they will fool much more quality fish espcially in high target areas. You can buy these things at many stores and www.troutbeads.com. They are round plastic beads that come in a variety of colors, tangeriene and natural roe are the best in my experience. Most people fish them by pegging them 2 inches above a bare hook with a toothpick. This prevents smart bows from spitting the fly out cuz of feeling the hook and also prevents gut hooking.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#2 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:00 AM

Beads are great for Great Lakes steelhead too. With natural colors, its hard to tell the difference from real eggs. Pearly pink plastic beads have also been good for me but I use lots of different colors and also glass ones for deep water. I attach them with small silicone bands (girl's hair ties) instead of a toothpick.

They haven't really caught on in my neck of the woods yet, some of my fellow steelheaders are wondering what I'm doing with sooo many beads smile.gif I only found out about them by lurking on the west coast steelheading sites (thanks guys!).

#3 sore arm

sore arm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:33 PM

I think I may give them a shot. Now would one of those beads fit on a hook to make an egg sucking leech as well?

#4 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

You can mount the bead on a pin and lash the pin to the hook. I bend the shank 45 degrees to make it basically a jig. An effective pattern is the 'neutral bouyancy' jig so a plastic bead is useful in that regard. I use this technique more for glass/metal beads though.

Alternatively, you can snip a tiny bit off the sides of the hole in plastic beads. This lets you get the bead around the hook bend with a crushed barb. Here's a pic of 6mm beads on #6 and #8 Mustad 9672's (it looks like roe eh cool.gif )
user posted image

#5 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:55 PM

Ice fishing for rainbows, 99% of guys use wigglers. My father in law and I noticed one day that one of the old timers who comes out and catches way more fish than everyone, had a small egg sized ornge bead threaded onto his line above the hook. Once we started using this rig, the number of bites we got skyrocketed.

#6 Toneloc

Toneloc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:43 PM

Do you guys have any problems with fish spitting them quickly?

A guy at the local fly shop recommended them to me, I bought some, but never used em cause I figured the fish would be likely to spit them before I detected the strike.

Thanks.

Tony

#7 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:18 PM

Where i fish they hold on to them a lot longer than glo bugs or illiamna pinkies.

I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#8 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

With the troutbeads, a little pressure with a set of pliers and the beads will slide right around the bend (if it's a round bend). Or you can take a small drill and just tap the rear of the bead to have it slide. I use alot of troutbeads. They work great, and awesome array of colors as well to match about anything you'd like. Great company to work with too.

#9 sore arm

sore arm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info on the beads guys. Ordered some and got them in the mail yesterday. Havent played with them but they look great. The company is great to deal with. If it ever warms up I will get them in the water. While my buddies are up late tying glo bugs I'll be asleep resting up for the action. Cant wait to try them out!!