Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

6 foot Cabelas rod

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ditz

ditz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:06 AM

I have recently purchased a 6' cabelas rod for a 5 wt line to fish small streams with a heavy canopy of trees. The series is "Clear Creek". I have only cast it in the yard so far but it seems that it might be overlined with the WF5 but I have not cast a line for many years so..............Any ideas out there?

ditz

#2 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

I would go with a 2 or 3 wt line on the smaller streams. It should be easier casting with a smaller rod.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/

#3 lanvaettir

lanvaettir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:14 PM

That seems like a heavy line for a short rod. How much does the tip of your rod flex when you cast? If it flexes a bunch you might try a 3 or even a 2 weight as suggested. I have a seven foot browning rod that claims to be a 5 weight and I use a 2 weight line with it. It doesn't cast more than 30 feet accurately (dinner plate) but it doesn't scare the fish either. It's a great combo for small streams!
Here fishy ... Good fishy ...