Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

more redington questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jsmolarchuk

jsmolarchuk

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:29 PM

Hi, new to the forum and to fly fishing. Looking to get a fly rod and noticed the redington red fly rods at cabelas on sale.

Reading other reviews warns about plastic reel seats but I'm unsure if these are old reviews and/or if Redington went away from plastic seats. I'm not fortunate enough to be able to visit a Cabelas store and from pictures on-line it appears most of the them (handle "B") have plastic and some (handle "A") are either aluminum or other metalic material.

Any opinions on plastic reel seats, I will not be in the saltwater.

Also what are your oppinions on 2, 3, and 4 piece rods.

Kind Regards, Jason

#2 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

ehhhhh...I'm not sure about plastic...I'd rather get a rod with a metal reel seat regardless of the species yopur after, just seems more durable, you know? Haven't heard much about reddington rods, but if your looking fora good rod to start with, try temple fork outfitters. It's very forgivable in casting errors, casts nice, relatively in expensive (something like 120 for the cheapest to about 220 or so for the most expensive), and they are backed by a lifetime warranty. Not to mention they are also backed by lefty kreh, a legend in fly fishing. I like mine, my father likes his, and other people on this site love em. Just an opinion though, we all have different tastes.

The amount of pieces a rod is doesn't matter much, it's just easier to store a 4 piece 9 footer than a 2 piece, or even a one piece(if there is such a thing laugh.gif ). Go with as many pieces as you can afford, usually more pieces = more money. but hey, better to carry a 2.5' rod case than a 4.5" rod case, eh?

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles