Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Big poppers

Those look very nice, tails are all excellent. I occasionally tie some poppers for a friend for peacock bass, usually on 7/0 hooks. It's hard to get the ratios of material right when they get big.

Made mostly for specks/reds in the marsh with a streamer about 30" behind.....like using a popping cork typical of this area. The reason no legs. But just had to put some frog legs in one.

Found couple big corks....big glitter/SallyHansen...wonder if the fish can see the cork flaws under the finish....

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3955.png

Fish eat size 32 dry flies ... of course they can see the cork flaws. But then, injured poppers are easier prey, no?

Fish eat size 32 dry flies ... of course they can see the cork flaws. But then, injured poppers are easier prey, no?

That's trout...I don't think bass and many predatory type fish see that way. I believe they attack due to the commotion more than anything. I've caught many a fish on flies that are damaged from their original state.

Sunfish eat size 32's, Mike. The only two fish I ever caught on a size 32 were sunfish. I'm sure commotion has a lot to do with the effectiveness of poppers but I've had equally good results with sliders and spiders. All the fish I caught on the fly rod in the Poconos a couple of weeks ago were caught on sliders or spiders.