Fly Tying

Hook Choice  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I figured there was already a poll or discussion about this, but I couldn't find one. If there is, sorry to waste everyone's time. I was just curious to see if there was a "favorite" among tyers. I used to use Mustads because they were a bit cheaper, but switched to Tiemco when Mustad came out with their new line. I just like TMC's choices and their hooks seem sharper out of the package.

I don't have a specific brand, but I mostly use Kamasan, or Fulling Mill. Nice quality, not a bad price either. Saves me lamenting for my money... :nopity: ;)

I use pretty much every brand out there. It just depends on the style I need, and the price. The price is probably the biggest factor.

I just like TMC's choices and their hooks seem sharper out of the package.

Same here. Sorry for not being more original. B)

Usually I use Mustads but Im slowly going Partridge Sharper,Stronger and the got some mean pike hooks.

I like the TMC's for most everything, Gamakatsu's for streamers and Meat Whistles. I am trialing some Togens right now, and for the price are good quality. Carrie Stevens 10X streamers by Partridge.

Cheers. Futzer.

Dai-Riki for smaller (10-20) flies.

Mustad for up to Size 1 (primarily 34007 and 34011 in larger sizes and 3261 for panfish)

Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp up to 3/0 -- which is as big as I tie.

I use pretty much every brand out there. It just depends on the style I need, and the price. The price is probably the biggest factor.

Ditto, but the brand I use the most is Montana Fly company and Daiichi!!

I typically go for style selections or hooks styles that I like. TMC seems to cover most my needs but I do like Partridge hooks as they have some unique looks etc... My only problem is that a lot of the hooks I like seem to get discontinued.....

daichi 1110 wide gap,for #16-28,,love the the big eye,especially for the the smaller bugs.Daichi 1870 swimming nymph for most of my ntmphs and as for soft hackles and streamers,whatever is the best deal

shane

I get most of my hooks based on price.

I like to have some heavier hooks and lighter hooks to use for nymph patterns. You get different fall rates.

I have 5 brands of hooks right now.

Crappie

Most of my tying is for bass, panfish or saltwater, so I use a variety of makes & styles. I use a lot of non-fly hooks, like worm hooks, spinnerbait hooks, bait holders, jig hooks & Aberdeens.

I used Mustad for many years, and still use some of their hooks.

I currently have Mustad, Tiemco, Daiichi, Dai-Riki, Eagle Claw, Partridge, Owner, Matzuo, Gamakatsu, Kamasan, Doc Waters, and even some South Bend hooks. I have some hooks that I have no idea what brand they are too.

I look for hooks that fit my needs, don't matter what the advertised use may be, or price as long as it's not too extreme. I like experimenting, and have found that some non-fly hooks actually work far better than typical fly hooks for some types of flies. If I feel it's a hook I can use, I'll buy it.

For example, Doc Waters Lure Company sells a offset, wide gap worm hook, that has a long front section that works great for tying big bass streamers. When using this type of hook you get a fly similar to a bendback style or keel fly, with the hook point riding up. Real good for bass flies or even flies for Striped Bass or Pike. They sell for about $10 for 60 hooks. They're not Gamakatsu or Owner in quality, but for the price they work extremely well.

Another example, the South Bend hooks I have are bronze Aberdeens sold as panfish hooks. They're very sharp, and as strong as most regular fly hooks I've used in similar sizes. They're also very inexpensive, and tie super panfish flies, or I wouldn't hesitate to tie trout flies on them. They would make a fine nymph or wet fly hook.

There are a lot of good hooks that can be used to tie flies if you look around! :)

I used to buy strictly Mustad for their cheap price but I'm slowly learning that you get what you pay for. After having one batch of flies rust before I ever used them I decided to start buying a little higher quality hooks. I also noticed that Mustad's tend to be made out of a much softer metal than other hooks and they would bend easily from fish and crush if the vise was too tight.

--CHad